Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Teal decoys

yes, early teal. I'm sure I'll use them a bit later too, but early teal is the goal.

I don't use spinners or any electric dekes. Just floaters. I'm sorta simple and old fashioned that way.

Do yourself a favor and spend the money on a quality bag for packing them in. I purchased a large avery decoy bag with nice padded shoulder straps and a waist belt and it has been the best money I have spent. I have packed in 2-3 dozen standard size decoys with ease.

yes, early teal. I'm sure I'll use them a bit later too, but early teal is the goal.

I don't use spinners or any electric dekes. Just floaters. I'm sorta simple and old fashioned that way.
Fair enough. Point remains, teal ain't really brain rangers. If you're bushwhacking in, I'd get em as light and cheaply as I could.

Motley, that's the plan.

I have got a good bag already. Just tired of carrying 1-2 dozen mallard hens with 4 oz anchors.

Well I finally pulled the trigger and ordered up a dozen Higdon for $36.48 plus $5 shipping and a few bucks in taxes. Not too bad. I'll scrounge up some light weights and swivels and I have the line already. Unfortunately, the small ponds are drying up. May not be a lot of options.

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/pro...d=0&itemGUID=76eb260cac10a85a635be2522887ccd9

I know you said you don't use spinners. But I would highly recommend getting a mojo dove for teal. Teal really like the fast spinning wings.

^^^^

Some years I take more doves than teal while teal hunting certain public wetlands.

I thought I would bring back this thread again but just for a humorous note and warning - at least I thought it was funny.

I bought some Higdon decoys and they are okay. Not great, but okay. So, I thought i would buy some more because I like small decoys for some places that I go. I went to Cabela's website to order a dozen and in doing so, stumbled across a warning regarding these - no, not the California toxic materials warning that is on everything - but this:

WARNING--DECOYS.
Use caution in transporting and positioning decoys in areas where other hunters may be present. Not recommended for use during firearm hunting season.

Looks like I will have to find some other brands... :rolleyes:

I thought I would bring back this thread again but just for a humorous note and warning - at least I thought it was funny.

I bought some Higdon decoys and they are okay. Not great, but okay. So, I thought i would buy some more because I like small decoys for some places that I go. I went to Cabela's website to order a dozen and in doing so, stumbled across a warning regarding these - no, not the California toxic materials warning that is on everything - but this:

WARNING--DECOYS.
Use caution in transporting and positioning decoys in areas where other hunters may be present. Not recommended for use during firearm hunting season.

Looks like I will have to find some other brands... :rolleyes:
I see that that “not recommended during hunting season” on most of the decoys I buy. Looks like they are trying to make life easier for the ducks.

I see that that “not recommended during hunting season” on most of the decoys I buy. Looks like they are trying to make life easier for the ducks.

That's too bizarre for me to even imagine what they are thinking. Were I them, I would be too embarrassed and ashamed to show my face in public if I wrote things like that.

That's too bizarre for me to even imagine what they are thinking. Were I them, I would be too embarrassed and ashamed to show my face in public if I wrote things like that.
I think sadly, most of it is for legal purposes.

Wanna bet there was an attorney involved?

--Your Honor, we cannot be held liable as we warned the user not to use them during firearm waterfowl hunting season. Our decoys are best used during waterfowl bowhunting season.

Wanna bet there was an attorney involved?

--Your Honor, we cannot be held liable as we warned the user not to use them during firearm waterfowl hunting season. Our decoys are best used during waterfowl bowhunting season.
The judge, ANY judge would laugh until he cried, if some lawyer tried that stunt.

I have early season teals with 2-oz weights. They are a must for my early season. Durable and detailed!

I have early season teals with 2-oz weights. They are a must for my early season. Durable and detailed!

I'm thinking of using them all season and maybe even repainting some as mallards (as if the mallards actually care). Smaller is better.

I remember the old days when it was "essential" to have magnum and even super magnum decoys if you wanted to hunt ducks. What a waste. More small decoys beats fewer large ones when packing them in, in my opinion.

I'm thinking of using them all season and maybe even repainting some as mallards (as if the mallards actually care). Smaller is better.

I remember the old days when it was "essential" to have magnum and even super magnum decoys if you wanted to hunt ducks. What a waste. More small decoys beats fewer large ones when packing them in, in my opinion.
My Dad reminisces about wood decoys! I quickly shut up and listen after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back