Teacher Concealed Carry Law in Idaho

With the legislature in session it’s a great time to watch silly bills in Idaho and the time and money spent on them. Imagine if the money they collect wasting time on pet projects that will go no where went to things that need funded

With the legislature in session it’s a great time to watch silly bills in Idaho and the time and money spent on them. Imagine if the money they collect wasting time on pet projects that will go no where went to things that need funded
Idaho legislature has members consistently trying to make Idaho a little replication of Utah.

I have been trying to articulate a consistent position. Its pretty simple. Giving teachers (and citizens in general) choice to be armed hasnt played out net negatively where it has been tried.
Let's give each other the benefit of the doubt, it's the internet things get lost.

I was responding to the idea specifically that things don't go sideways in shooting incidents. As far as teachers with guns, I don't agree or disagree, I don't think there is enough data to make draw any conclusions, and I have given my personal opinion a couple of times.

I read this about a shooting incident in Idaho Falls, and I can't help but pause and think, putting a gun in that teachers hands is/was not the answer. Others may think about it differently.

Makes me think of students bringing teachers to the point of crying in my middle school...

A non response isn’t a failed response? Oh for ****s sake. There is no talking to you on this thread.
The thread is about a bill legalizing teachers to be permitted to carry in schools.

You would think i wouldnt need to specify and point to the thread not being related to a lack of police response, or police response in general. It doesnt really have anything to do with the topic at hand. Other than maybe a seperate point - we cant rely on the people we need to protect our children in the first place.

Seperately, the teacher has no duty or responsibility to respond. Armed or not. The concerns against the bill in the thread are primarily related to friendly fire from a response. One single instance was provided - and its not objectively clear to me (open to being convinced) that it was a net worse situation because a teacher was ironically illegally armed.

Multiple staff volunteers who already hold concealed carry permits are armed. Each armed staff member has a uniform to put on in the event of a shooting to allow responding officers to distinguish from staff or the shooter.
Interesting. Seems like something hi-viz, compact, and rapidly deployable to be carried at all times could be effective.

Let's give each other the benefit of the doubt, it's the internet things get lost.

I was responding to the idea specifically that things don't go sideways in shooting incidents. As far as teachers with guns, I don't agree or disagree, I don't think there is enough data to make draw any conclusions, and I have given my personal opinion a couple of times.

I read this about a shooting incident in Idaho Falls, and I can't help but pause and think, putting a gun in that teachers hands is/was not the answer. Others may think about it differently.

I appreciate the benefit of the doubt.

I hear and see your argument about data. Theres not really enough to justify it - for this specific instance (schools).

My counter point is that there have been crowded places where this plays out other places in the world - see links below.

Ive tried with politics/policy and try to look at results first, concerns next, and intentions last. The emotions or hypotheticals matter less to me than what ends up happening. So far - i dont see enough results (to change my mind) showing bad things happening from a populace that is given more freedom to carry firearms. Despite my concern for it, or the skeptism i have of the intent of the legislators.

"Carry on" as they say ;)

Seems like the main issue is bullying and then not having family support at home. Seems like there are been glaring warning signs in most cases.

Sure, arm teachers. But as a parent pay attention to your kid, and if you hear about another kid at school being bullied do something. Stepping in for a child who has doesn't have their own support at home might just save your kids life.

1707325402425.png
1707325552866.png

I live in Idaho. Everyone I know with school-age children here supports this bill. As do I. “Gun-free zones” are stupid.

Seems like the main issue is bullying and then not having family support at home. Seems like there are been glaring warning signs in most cases.

Sure, arm teachers. But as a parent pay attention to your kid, and if you hear about another kid at school being bullied do something. Stepping in for a child who has doesn't have their own support at home might just save your kids life.

View attachment 314572
View attachment 314573

This is something we can absolutely agree on.

More people committed to making an individual difference in a troubled kids life will be way more effective. I certainly was blessed to have community support, from a small town, when i needed it as a kid. Clear that isnt the case for a lot of people.

When i say community support - i mean understanding around from teachers, parents, and individuals. Not a "program" of any kind.

Last edited:
Ok... serious question.

Scenario: You are in your child's school. Shots start ringing out down the hall in your kid's classroom, kids are screaming and dying.

Would you rather:
A. Wait 2-3 minutes for police to arrive.
B. Pull a Glock out of your waistband and run down to the classroom?
Just as well ask if someone wants to lick a razor blade of kiss a rabbit between the ears.

Last edited:
This is something we can absolutely agree on.

More people committed to making an individual difference in a troubled kids life will be way more effective. I certainly was blessed to have community support, from a small town, when i needed it as a kid. Clear that isnt the case for a lot of people.

When i say community support - i mean understanding around from teachers, parents, and individuals. Not a "program" of any kind.
My dad was a teacher, at some point during his career I think he noticed that some kids really struggled at lunch time as it was kinda unregulated and a prime opportunity for bullying. He started kinda lunch club in his classroom and let gets go there instead and get help on homework or play on the computers... etc.

In retrospect I'm sure it was kinda a pain for him because he gave up his one opportunity to go run an errand and get lesson planning done.

Probably didn't stop a school shooting, but I bet that giving kids a bully free lunch space helped some kids.

Definitely not as news worthy as handing out glocks, certainly isn't going to galvanize a polarized electorate.

It is like 100 shots and 8 hours training.

For this, I'd advocate for more.
These are the Idaho Enhanced CCW requirements. 98 training rounds fired. You already need this to legally carry concealed in Idaho in venues which seat more than 500.

Maybe we need mental health programs for school admins and board members after the goat rodeo in the West Bonner District.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back