PEAX Equipment

Taxidermy question?

Buzz, I think they look great and you can't beat the price. Were these warm ups for your muley? I need to see another picture of that guy.

BuzzH, first off let me comment that for the first time out of the shoot, those are outstanding. I too, am thinking I need to start doing my own taxidermy. I used to be heavily involved many years ago. I even apprenticed for a year under a taxidermist from Utah named Brent Housekeeper. Maybe you have heard of him? If you have ever read Breakthrough Magazine or ordered from WASCO I'm sure you have heard of him. Anyway I didn't learn as much as I would've liked to. While he is incredible taxidermist he's not very work driven. I think he mounted something like five or six animals in the year I apprenticed. I don't know how he survives! With that said I'd like to know how you went about training yourself?

I never took any classes or anything. I did work part time for a couple winters with a taxidermist and did all the caping, skinning, hide prep stuff, molded forms, etc. But I never did any of the technical work.

My theory was (no offense intended), "most taxidermists arent building rockets in their spare time, so it cant be that tough". I did read through a real good book a couple times, cant recall the title, but it was pretty good.

I also had some help with the more technical parts from a buddy who is a taxidermist. He gave me some pointers and explained stuff, one of which was to look at tons of reference, then look at some more reference.

MTMiller, yep, I'm going to tackle my mule deer sometime this winter.

They look damn good if you ask me.. I'd buy that. I'm too impatient to try that. Great job!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back