Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Taurus model 85

Rooster52

Looking at buying a Taurus model 85 stainless revolver in 38+P .I own several semi autos but no revolvers. My hands sometimes have a hard time working the slides on the autos. Thinking a revolver will be better for me. Anyone have one of these? How do you like it?

JMO, but I had a Taurus 85. I sold it at a loss and bought a S&W airweight, save yourself some money and buy the S&W instead. It'll hold it's value, the Taurus does not.

Experienced J, K, and L frames only for me. Had a 30 year old Taurus 38 (Bull I think) and was allowed about what I gave for it on a S&W trade. It went bang every time but a Smith is what it is. Sorry to get off your topic, but, yea, S&W is that much better IMO.

I sold my Taurus. They are not very well put together IMHO. Quality definitely suffers and the price reflects that. Save your pennys and upgrade to a Ruger or S&W.

Airweight! I have a Taurus revolver now, had 85s in the past. If it is just sitting in a glovebox, an 85 is OK. For regular carry, I'd rather bet my life on an SW.

IMO I would get the Smith and Wesson 637 Performance Center. Badassery defined. Then again, I carry Glock. Good luck with whatever you choose! :)

I'll Differ. I've had one since they 1st came out many, many moons ago. Never even considered resale value, because I never intended to sell it. It's gone BANG every time I pulled the trigger, accurate enough (once I found it's preferences), and wouldn't think twice about having any family member using it as a defense weapon.

Both my wife and I have the Ruger sp101 in 357, she shoots the 38+p and shoots it well. Very nicely balanced little revolver, may want to consider this as well.

Skip the Taurus. In fact, skip ALL Tauruses. I know from experience. I had the 85. They have firing pin issues. And sometimes lockup issues. Buy a Smith 642. You'll be much happier.

Emrah

Skip the Taurus. In fact, skip ALL Tauruses. I know from experience. I had the 85. They have firing pin issues. And sometimes lockup issues. Buy a Smith 642. You'll be much happier.

Emrah

Dude..My Judge is badass :D I have a sliding glass door to my back that I can see the reflection of in my computer screen and it sits on my desk loaded with 000 buckshot. Every time my dogs look out of it and bark my hand goes on it :eek: I also like my Raging Bull .44 mag.

I could kick myself as I missed up on the purchase of a Taurus Judge. Thought to long on it. Local shop had it for $250.

I could kick myself as I missed up on the purchase of a Taurus Judge. Thought to long on it. Local shop had it for $250.

If you're hankerin' for a .45Colt/410 Shotshell revolver, skip the Judge and get a S&W Governor instead. I have a Judge, and while it's OK and goes bang everytime, I compared it side by side with it's S&W counterpart and the S&W wins hands down for quality and fit & finish. Costs a bit more, but hey....it's a Smith & Wesson not a copy of one.

Mostly wanted the 38 for snakes. #9 shot shell does the job on ratlers. One area west of Steamboat is loaded with ratlers,great elk and deer but lots of snakes.

Emrah

Actually the 92 and 99 Beretta clones aren't bad, but I think they are made on machinery purchased from Beretta.

I've owned one of their revolvers and have friends who've had some of their other offerings. No thanks.

I had a Taurus model 85 titanium and traded it in for a S&W 642. The Taurus cylinder became sloppy with use and the gun just didn't feel well built. I was happy to trade it off. I have heard the older ones are better built than the ones of today.

-Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back