Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Taste testing wild pig meat

They say about 25% of people don't taste/smell boar taint, so if you've never tasted it you're probably immune.

From Wikipedia:

Boar taint is caused by the accumulation of two compounds – androstenone and skatole – in the fat of male pigs. Androstenone (a male pheromone) is produced in the testes as male pigs reach puberty and gives the meat a urine or sweat flavour, while skatole (a byproduct of intestinal bacteria, or bacterial metabolite of the amino acid tryptophan) is produced in both male and female pigs and gives the meat a 'fecal' flavour. However, levels are much higher in intact boars, because testicular steroids inhibit its breakdown by the liver. As a result, skatole accumulates in the fat of male pigs as they mature.
This explains a lot. Wife and I are sensitive. One cube of fat in the skillet tells the tale. Boars with the funk knock us back several feet in short order.

I have killed a few hundred over the years All in Florida. I killed quite a few with previous injuries.
The first few I killed with festering injuries were not good to eat so from then on I left them lay. I probably left a few that could have been ok But after the bad experience with a few I was done with that and the farmer was up our rear to keep shooting them.

I’ve never had a wild hog taste bad BUT I would assume that the bacteria and various waste products and stenches from that wound have been distributed throughout the meat via the bloodstream. I could be wrong.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back