Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Tarptent vs freestanding tents

Billjzx9

Hi all. I see a lot of tent comparison threads on here but they didn't exactly cover what I wanted, so here's another one. I have always used freestanding tents for my limited trips out west hunting ( cabelas 2person xpg ultralight) I have been considering upgrading to another tent. I was looking at the Golite Shangri la 3 at first, but didn't like the way the door is made so that it lets the weather in since their is no vestbule to cover the opening, plus it's about the same weight. So now I'm kinda looking at the Shiras Tarptent brand (Stratospire I or II) or the Golite Imogene UL3.
I guess what I'm asking is, Does any of you use or have used the tarptent type of tent, like it better than the other or what? The Stratospire does come with an inner which I want because of condensation. I really like the features of the Stratospire, especially the weight, two large vestibules, and ease of setup.
I will mainly be using this for september elk hunting. I hope!! Looking forward to your opinions.

Since I carry trekking poles anyway, a tarptent is the ideal solo shelter for me in 95% of September mountain conditions. I've had two versions of the Six Moons Lunar Solo and they are great.

I use both, just depends on the situation.

JB0A2850.jpg

JB0A3228.jpg

Since I carry trekking poles anyway, a tarptent is the ideal solo shelter for me in 95% of September mountain conditions. I've had two versions of the Six Moons Lunar Solo and they are great.

Do you ever have issues with condensation? Thats the biggest thing I see with reviews on the Lunar Solo.

I am a big fan of the GoLite Shangri La 2. Sets up with two trekking poles, and can be pitched a few inches off the ground for great ventilation, or snugged down tight. When staked properly, it will handle some pretty serious weather. I use a 3' x 6.5' piece of TyVek for the floor or some polycro. Very lightweight -- 28 oz. for the whole shelter, and it is great for one, plus gear. Take a look at Mountain Laurel Designs Duomid as well. Single pole option, light, handles weather great.

I keep leaning toward the tarptent setup but I have to do tons of research usually before I decide anything. I guess if I don't like it I can always resell it. I think I will definitely go with the solid interior for the extra 20.00 if I go with this brand of tent. Do you think the larger would be too large? Sometimes the girlfriend likes to go along.
http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html
http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire1.html

Do you ever have issues with condensation? Thats the biggest thing I see with reviews on the Lunar Solo.
I've never had a problem with it. If it's raining all day or night there is some, but not abnormal.

For the OP, you can surely do lots of research and make a best guess at what will work for you--research is a good thing. Really you won't know what you like most until you get some nights with each platform.

I don't know how tall you are, but with a long bag many tarptent options are just too short--making a straight tarp and tyvek setup like Dustin's or Bozone's a nice option. I like a floor length of at least +- 88" in any floored shelter, or I have self inflicted condensation problems at the foot. Feet release a lot of moisture through the night, and of course down doesn't loft when mashed up against a wall either.

I have self inflicted condensation problems at the foot. Feet release a lot of moisture through the night, and of course down doesn't loft when mashed up against a wall either.

This is my main issue and I am only 6ft. I just bought a B.A. fly creek UL2 for that reason. And it only weighs 2.2, way better than my other 5lb two man.

I am a big fan of the GoLite Shangri La 2. Sets up with two trekking poles, and can be pitched a few inches off the ground for great ventilation, or snugged down tight. When staked properly, it will handle some pretty serious weather. I use a 3' x 6.5' piece of TyVek for the floor or some polycro. Very lightweight -- 28 oz. for the whole shelter, and it is great for one, plus gear. Take a look at Mountain Laurel Designs Duomid as well. Single pole option, light, handles weather great.

Do you ever use cord to pitch it instead of poles?

I plan on using the SL2 next year, looks like a great solo lightweight option.

I'm only 5' 9" so length isn't usually a problem for me. I mainly want some room to keep my gear inside with me, and still have some room and be able to leave some boots or something under a vestibule. Although the last hunt I went on I took a medium sized siltarp and rigged up beside my cabelas tent for cooking under and storing some stuff. It works good and is really light.

Back