Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Tarps 101?

TexAg09

Howdy everyone! Tarps have been starting to peak my interest, and while I've got a great giant silver tarp from walmart just sitting in my shed I'm thinking that's probably not the kind of tarp most of you use in the backcountry haha! However, there seems to be more to a light weight tarp than I expected. Can someone please give me a run down on what is important to look for in a light weight tarp for the backcountry? What size do you use and why? I would be using my for backpack hunting. I'm not sure if I would use it as a shelter or not, but they seem very versatile and useful. Any recommendations on reasonably priced option or brand? Thank you!

VIAM Outdoors is having a tarp sale till the 17th. Contact the owner, Tristan, he'll get you on the right track. He's a good guy.

You need to figure out what you want in a shelter. A tarp just for the sake of having it is only extra weight. I went with a floorless shelter for the weight savings, and decided on a shaped tarp for the ability to run a wood stove. I wanted it to be durable enough and enclosed enough to handle high wind and snow load as well. So I ended up with a Kifaru Supertarp and annex, which has a lot of guyouts and a shape that cuts the wind well if you pitch it in the right direction.

Doing it over, I would like more headroom, so I'm looking at some of the more pyramid style tarps right now.

So, to recap:
1. emergency shelter? flat tarps are all you need. Lots of good options out there. Also the lightest
2. dedicated shelter? Flat tarp might still work, but you need to at least consider a shaped tarp as they can offer easier setup, perhaps a better wind shedding design, etc.
3. 3+ seasons with the option to run a wood stove? pyramid/tipi/shaped tarps with zippers or doors and a stove jack are what you want.

I have a Etowah gear Silnylon (i think 10x10 or maybe 12x12) I use backpacking. Very lightweight, packs down small. I added dutch hardware hooks to some lash it line. Goes up and comes down quickly.

I was looking you getting the material and stitching one myself, but it's the kind of they you never actually get done.

Looked hard at the 6 AM 11'5" square.
Not interested in paying $800 for a DragonFly
Went with Etowah 10x14 on sale for $120 with pole, line, and peg kit.

Buy the cheap one at your nearest REI and sleep out in the backyard with it during a thunderstorm and you will learn the right way to pitch it. Got hiking poles for it?
Combined with a bivy sack it is the lightest early season shelter possible against summer thunderstorms and as shade during midday naps.

several hunting companies that make good ones, seek outside, Kifaru, and via outdoors comes to mind

SilNylon stretches when wet. SilPoly doesn't. This isn't a huge drawback, but it's important to know. Nylon actually absorbs water, Polyester doesn't. The water absorption causes Nylon tarps to sag and Nylon cords to loosen. I would prefer Polyester, but have both. Ultraviolet light degrades both Nylon and Polyester. Black is the most UV resistant color. I have seen many cords fail after being left outside for a year or so. Cheap poly tarps are good for a season, at best. Grommets are to be avoided because they pull out and are difficult to repair. Grosgrain or webbing loops are best for tieouts and stake loops and can be replaced. I sometimes put grommets in tieout loops for stakes. I often use Aluminum gutter spikes for stakes and they go right through the grommets. Pull on the loops to pull them out.

Having said all that, I will probably take a tent hunting, rather than a tarp. Tarps are fine in mild weather, but miserable in wind. If I'm close to the truck, I'll take a big tent. If I'm on foot, I'll take a smaller one, but it still has to be big enough for my gear.

I have carried a silnylon tarp on day hunts the last 5 years. When extreme weather, wet, cold, or hot and no shade available, it comes out.

With treking poles, natural habitat and some Pcord, there are multiple pitches possible.

Turn to the ultralight backpacking world for good tarp options, i.e. Borah Gear (least $) and Mountain Laurel Designs. If the tarp will function as you primary shelter, be forewarned that tarps are not the most weather-proof shelter. For that reason, err on the side of larger; if you intend to hunt solo, buy the two-person tarp. With a bivy sack, you can stretch the versatility of the tarp into fouler weather.

I use a tarp in the following scenarios: mild weather below treeline with low bug pressure, early season archery, calm winter camping, ultralight backpacking where saving weight is the primary goal.

I don't stay overnight but solo hunt in the Alabama woods, probably further from the vehicle than I should. So take my experience with that in mind.

Most often I'll have a cheap camo 6'x8' tarp in my pack, 50ft of paracord, 4 tent pegs, and 4 ball/loop bungies. It's thick enough to sit or lay on without worry of poking a hole through it. Large enough to run a ridge line between two trees and sit under during a rain if the wind is light. Maybe it could be of some use as an emergency overnight shelter or to make a stretcher to get some injured hunter out of the woods (with help of course).

A military surplus poncho with grommets is also good. Same uses but also big enough to wear as a poncho that covers the backpack. Here's a pic of the poncho covering a makeshift blind during light rain. The ball and loop bungies provide some give when the wind gusts.

Oakmulgee Deer Blind 01r.jpg

The REI Quarterdome is my main shelter in Colorado and I love it. I’ve paired it with window film for a ground sheet, or tyvek if it’s over 80°.

I’ve been using the Seek Outside DST tarp for a few years on summer backpacks and September archery hunts. The many tie outs and reinforced center cone make it really versatile for pitching. I did get a Seek Eolus this year and feel it gives me a much better shelter for only a few ounces more. It does take two trekking poles (or cut wood) tp pitch. You can’t go wrong with either. I would buy the Silex if you don’t need the extra room of the eolus and want a hot tent option. The third picture is my Eolus.

Attachments

• D58E7D09-7E83-4C0F-A53D-84333A05A3B4.jpeg
    D58E7D09-7E83-4C0F-A53D-84333A05A3B4.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
  • A42C6B5C-BE1D-4B79-ABA9-7F7D7F76C2DE.jpeg
    A42C6B5C-BE1D-4B79-ABA9-7F7D7F76C2DE.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 6E1C64AE-A177-48DE-B7ED-3B786C0D0CF7.jpeg
    6E1C64AE-A177-48DE-B7ED-3B786C0D0CF7.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 14
I use the REI Quarterdome Tarp. It's a pretty good entry into the tarp space as it's big and allows a lot of customization and options for setup. The weight of my shelter is 21.2 oz and includes the tarp, 8 stakes, 6 guylines, 25' Glowire ridgeline from Lawson Equipment, window film groundsheet and a rubber band around it all in place of the stuff sack.

It's a large tarp (which I like) but I would consider downsizing to something in the 7'x7' size range to shed a few more ounces and save room in my pack.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohan7
Back