Tarp Camping

BuckRut

Going to look at picking up a 10x15 tarp to have in my arsenal for backpack hunting. Whose running a tarp as there shelter on hunts and what pitches do you like? How cold or how much snow you putting up with in just a tarp?

My wife and I run tarps with hammocks. We haven't had to much issues with snow, the most is a couple of inches. We were going to try it for a late season elk hunt but the snow was 18in deep and we decided against it. We just run a line from the tree that we have our hammock on and throw the tarp over a stake it down.

Going to look at picking up a 10x15 tarp to have in my arsenal for backpack hunting. Whose running a tarp as there shelter on hunts and what pitches do you like? How cold or how much snow you putting up with in just a tarp?
There is an interesting video production of Yellowstone NP in the winter featuring the backcountry camping and photography of Tom Murphy, renowned photographer of Livingston, MT.
Murphy skis into remote areas and camps under a tarp. In the video he describes how it is set up and how he stays warm enough to get sleep and be ready to ski and shoot photos in the morning light. Check it out; you'll like it.

I prefer square tarps. More pitch options. Or maybe simpler geometry for my small mind…

I use them during archery season but when snow flies I use a hot tent. I use my trekking poles for the poles and do a traditional tent shape. I have also used a lean-to design. Have always stayed dry.

The Seek Outside DST tarp is a great tarp, I’ve used it up to 12,000’ in Colorado. It has a reinforced ‘cone’ in the center that you can use with a hiking pole or a stick to make a shelter.FBAFE95F-C1A9-4F28-88FD-5CB527A92B88.jpeg

The Seek Outside DST tarp is a great tarp, I’ve used it up to 12,000’ in Colorado. It has a reinforced ‘cone’ in the center that you can use with a hiking pole or a stick to make a shelter.
How are the bugs in the CO high country at the end of August?

At least where I backpack, there's a pretty narrow window where there's enough weather you need a tarp at all, but not so much that you need more coverage.

When bad weather is expected on a multi-day hunt, I do take a 10'x7' Hille tarp 5 to glass under. There are many lighter options, but at 11 oz. it's a good compromise for me and holds up to abuse. I end up using it during spring bear "day" hunts quite often as well.

1670954693745.jpeg

This is how I grew up doing it. So much easier to pack than a full tent. If you have a warm bag and bivy, nothing beats the tarp setup. I'm going to run one this April on a bear hunt.

One of my favorite aspects of sleeping under a tarp is there is no false sense of security like a tent provides. I'm talking about grizz country after dark. From under a tarp it's much easier to deploy spray/41 mag/flare if needed.

I’ve been playing around more with using a tarp. Overall I like it and I like how light I can keep my pack with it, but they certainly aren’t a replacement for a good backpacking tent. I spent half of this night chasing that stupid thing around in the wind.

0741FE0E-F8BB-4FF2-8159-B65F2AFE9082.jpeg

I should try tarping when it’s not during a hailstorm or the middle of winter, and maybe I’d like the concept a bit more

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back