Tape on the end of the barrel

ATbuckhunter

How many of you put tape on the end of your rifle barrel while hunting? I was lead to believe that the tape is blown off before the bullet gets close to the tape due to the pressure of the shot...is this true? I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what happens. Ive obviously never done it as its not something that's really done in my neck of the NY woods so I was always worried id ruin my rifle.

That's how I understand it as well and that it should have no effect on your accuracy. Someday when I remember, I'll try it at the range.

I should have added, how much tape do you put on? Is one layer the norm or do you put multiple layers?

1 strip of electricians tape across the barrel and then wrap another about 1"-2" inches below muzzle around the barrel to hold the 1st piece in place...if you have a break on your gun, the portion covering the holes will blow out too.

I should have added, how much tape do you put on? Is one layer the norm or do you put multiple layers?

One layer is plenty over the end. Been doing it for 50 years. Did some extensive testing on accuracy and velocity with chronograph a number of years a go and it has zero effects. Besides keeping junk out I think the another advantage is protecting the crown of your barrel if you put a rifle in a pickup muzzle down etc.

One layer is plenty over the end. Been doing it for 50 years. Did some extensive testing on accuracy and velocity with chronograph a number of years a go and it has zero effects. Besides keeping junk out I think the another advantage is protecting the crown of your barrel if you put a rifle in a pickup muzzle down etc.

This^^^

I've been doing it for 10+ years.

I just don't see the need. Hunted in some nasty conditions and I have never had a gun not go bang. I guess I may rethink it with a muzzy but I don't see the need with today's ammo and rifles.

In the Western part of Montana you get some pretty wet, snowy, and down right messy conditions. The tape keeps your barrel from rusting from water, and snow going down the barrel. It also helps in keeping the barrel safe to shoot. You hunt here in Novemeber you'll know what I mean.

In the Western part of Montana you get some pretty wet, snowy, and down right messy conditions. The tape keeps your barrel from rusting from water, and snow going down the barrel. It also helps in keeping the barrel safe to shoot. You hunt here in Novemeber you'll know what I mean.

I have hunted WI in November with conditions that are driving rain to wet snow that is worse than rain.

I tend to not keep my barrel pointed up and I will clean it at night.

One episode of trying to clean mud out of the end of my barrel with a twig after a fall when I'm several miles back in the woods was enough to convince me. I've seen absolutely no effect on accuracy.

One episode of trying to clean mud out of the end of my barrel with a twig after a fall when I'm several miles back in the woods was enough to convince me. I've seen absolutely no effect on accuracy.
Yeah, you get all kinds of stuff in there ducking under trees, or falling, or stalking critters on your hands/knees. I've been using electrical tape for a long time. You can put an extra strip on the barrel so you always have some.

I have hunted WI in November with conditions that are driving rain to wet snow that is worse than rain.

The first time you take a spill in gumbo mud your attitude will change.

Come out West and hike up an avalanche chute then with your lungs burning at altitude and your quad muscles twitching you can transition onto the alpine tundra slick as snot from a recent frost. If at that moment of reflection as you are tumbling down the incline you open up to learning new techniques, is best to apply the tape prior to your barrel being damp.

I think flatlander hunting where you return to a warm bed that night to flip on the tv and pull out your cleaning kit is not the norm out West where often you are returning to camp after dark to try and get some grub in your belly and a few hours sleep prior to the next morning. A thorough cleaning is a dream and means a bit less sleep and more things to pack on your back to base camp.

I use tape over the end of the barrel as well. Actually I tape part of a plastic bag over the barrel with tape about 1" down from the end of the barrel and only have a little bit of the sticky part of the tape touching the barrel. I do this any time it looks like rain or snow or if I'm hunting in a really dusty environment.
Never seen any negative effects on accuracy. I like the balloon idea- may end up using it instead

I just don't see the need. Hunted in some nasty conditions and I have never had a gun not go bang. I guess I may rethink it with a muzzy but I don't see the need with today's ammo and rifles.

You may change that view, if you ever tripped and ran the muzzle into the mud. The tape or a balloon is great insurance and if nothing else, it keeps water out of your barrel in wet weather.

I purchased a bag of balloons and handed several to each of my hunting partners this past Oct prior to packing in. Worked like a charm keeping debri out of the barrel. Small means of insuring a safe discharge when that animal finally cooperates.

I too have taped the ends of all my hunting guns barrels using black electrical tape. One piece, although its a close fir for a muzzleloader! I have, in years past, taped the barrel at a gun range and fired a group without the tape, then another group using the tape. No difference. And, like many others have stated, the tape is blown off the barrel by the air coming out of the barrel ad the bullet cruises towards it. Its never a case of a caliber sized hole in the tape. I also carry spare tape by wrapping it around the barrel a few inches down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back