Caribou Gear

Tape at the end of barrel?

midwesterncrosshair

Having watched all of the Fresh Tracks episodes, I have noticed in the first seasons the ends of the rifle barrels were black. I always thought maybe it was just a custom black end. In season 7 ep 3 it looked like the ends of the rifles had electrical tape on them. > If it is I'm assuming its to keep rain/snow out of your barrel??? > If it is do you take the tape off before you shoot or leave it on? >If its not tape what is it?

Agreed, just electrical tape.

If you're worried about it affecting your bullet, just know that the gasses that go around the bullet when you fire are the first to exit the rifle, and therefore blow the tape off the end of the barrel. By the time the bullet comes through a little while later there is no tape in the way, just air.

Works like a charm. Don't have to worry about falling in the mud and getting your barrel obstructed.

I use a Rapid Rifle Cover, but mine only goes to the ocular end of the scope.

I’ve seen some guys use balloons as well but I prefer tape for the reasons @Mthuntr said as it’s a bit more reliable, or a cover like @wllm1313 mentioned.

Reactions: AJS
Another scenario for you guys... Back country black power, do you tape the end of your barrel? or leave it open due to moisture in the air? I was thinking taping your barrel would keep the moisture in and then if you stay in the back country overnight your temp swing would cause condensation on the inside of your barrel? Which is a no no... So whats your guys take on that?

Another scenario for you guys... Back country black power, do you tape the end of your barrel? or leave it open due to moisture in the air? I was thinking taping your barrel would keep the moisture in and then if you stay in the back country overnight your temp swing would cause condensation on the inside of your barrel? Which is a no no... So whats your guys take on that?

Definitely would tape a muzzy. Condensation is a pretty minor concern compared, with snow/rain/mud.

I have used electrical tape for about 25 years. Maybe longer.... I also put a wrap around the barrel behind the tape as a spare. If I shoot the gun during bad weather, I can then tape it back up. I also tie a thread around the barrel as a wind detector. Sometimes. I use the extra wrap of tape to secure the thread. Pick a color that you can see contrasting with the background (leaves, snow, etc).

Back