Tanning Rabbit Hides

flux

I recently started hunting Cottontail rabbit and want to preserve the fur, looking for some advice since my first two attempts were unsuccessful. I am brand new to this, please forgive the ignorance. I followed a youtube tutorial where you cover the skin in salt for 1-2 days, scrape off salt and remaining fat/flesh, cover with egg yolk and damp towel for 1-2 days, wash off egg with soap, break the hide by stretching it every few hours.

After washing off the egg, I noticed there were multiple spots with fur missing. The missing chunks of fur are not noticeable now that it is dry. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong to cause the fur to fall out?

I keep ripping the hide while trying to break it. The tutorial showed the leather changing color while breaking but my hides ripped before changing color. How wet/dry should they be during this phase?

I've pickled squirrel hides using borax and turpentine, it's got some stank but it works.
Look up how to tan with alum.
Chuck Testa used to have some videos on youtube about tanning small critters too.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back