Yeti GOBOX Collection

Talk me out of a Savage Accufit Stock...

yakimanoob

Hey folks,

I've been trying to find ways to cheaply upgrade the stock on my Savage 116 Lightweight Hunter, and I'm a bit torn between getting a new-but-second-hand Accufit Accustock (≤$250 with aics bottom metal) and an MDT Field Stock ($299+tax&shipping). Both come with weight penalties compared to my OEM ultra-flimsy plastic stock (I have the pre-accustock version with no Al bedding). I can't find exact specs on the accustock, but I figure it's a bit lighter than the MDT Field Stock, if anything.

My main priority is to get the rifle into something more rigid to hopefully help with some accuracy issues I've been having. I've got a wear mark on the barrel now near the front of the stock, which seems to be rubbing the barrel during the harmonics of the shot.

What do y'all think? Is there something else in a similar price range that wouldn't be too much of a weight penalty? This is my only rifle, and my drug of choice is the WA High Buck Hunt, so while I'm no gram-counter, weight still certainly matters a lot. (I also hunt elk on the sage steppe every year, but that's a lot less weight-sensitive).

Thanks in advance for the advice.

(current setup pictured below)

Attachments

• IMG_3923.JPG
    IMG_3923.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
p.s. I realize there's a bit of gunsmithing involved in getting my rifle into the accufit stock; swapping out or modifying the lug is no big deal for me.

The universal complaint of accufits is the flexible foreend although otherwise they seem to work. I have an accufit on my Ultralite. I would go with the MDT if you want to use AICS mags.

Another option would be to look at what Stocky's and OpticsPlanet has in their clearance section.

Boyds AT-ONE thumbhole stock.
Helps cut down on some weight.
Adjustable LOP & comb.
And not super expensive.

I have an accu-stock and it’s in the short list to be swapped out. It holds the action fine, but the fore end is as structural as a wet noodle.
Tell us how you really feel!! Lol

It would appear that the forestock on the Accustock is no better than the Tupperware stock of old.

On mine, I roughed them up.
Cleaned with starter fluid (no oils).
Sprayed automotive adhesion promoter.
Then lightweight Bondo.

Didn't add a ton of weight, but much more stiff!

Last edited:
Well, y'all didn't talk me out of it 😅. It took some hunting but I was able to secure a new accustock (with the appropriate bottom 'metal' and adjustment hardware) for a little under $200 so I went for it.

I will update with the results once everything comes in and I get a chance to test it out.

Well, y'all didn't talk me out of it 😅. It took some hunting but I was able to secure a new accustock (with the appropriate bottom 'metal' and adjustment hardware) for a little under $200 so I went for it.

I will update with the results once everything comes in and I get a chance to test it out.
The heart wants what the heart wants ! Good luck .(y)

So is everything Savage coming from China or just the stocks?
I’m not positive about the stocks but I believe most savage is Chinese. If it was me I’d at least see not ask a random guy on the internet if you know what I mean. This country used to be America first. Now guys make all sorts of excuses why they can’t/wont be. Glad I’m old enough I won’t see it forever

I’m not positive about the stocks but I believe most savage is Chinese. If it was me I’d at least see not ask a random guy on the internet if you know what I mean. This country used to be America first. Now guys make all sorts of excuses why they can’t/wont be. Glad I’m old enough I won’t see it forever
Sorry this is off topic. But if you were to walk around your house and take inventory, are you able to say that it is void of Chinese made products? Checking the tags in your clothing, TV, toaster, guessing you don’t have a cell phone? No shopping at WalMart correct?

I’m genuinely not trying to start a fight. I am legit asking. I’ve also romanticized the idea of buying more American products but it’s been hard going. So far I’ve only managed to be able to locally source my booze (bourbon) and my meat (wild game).

To the OP, the Accustock is a shooter particularly if you are willing to strengthen the forearm.

Sorry this is off topic. But if you were to walk around your house and take inventory, are you able to say that it is void of Chinese made products? Checking the tags in your clothing, TV, toaster, guessing you don’t have a cell phone? No shopping at WalMart correct?

I’m genuinely not trying to start a fight. I am legit asking. I’ve also romanticized the idea of buying more American products but it’s been hard going. So far I’ve only managed to be able to locally source my booze (bourbon) and my meat (wild game).

To the OP, the Accustock is a shooter particularly if you are willing to strengthen the forearm.
That’s the problem. Someone always throws that in. Weak reasoning and I’m not trying to argue either. Exactly the reason we need to try to buy American best we can and yea even if it’s a little more. Some things we can’t. That’s a given. Others are just an excuse.
And no my house isn’t full of Chinese anything. To the best of my ability I make sure of that. My boots, clothes, hunt gear, etc is not. Bear in mind, I’m not against trading w another country. China, Russia, even the Turks hate us. Why would anyone give an enemy money. Seems un American and unpatriotic. We need to get back to standing with our own country

I normally stray away from political discussions, but since I'm the OP and I'm an economist by trade, I'll offer a few thoughts:
  • The people of China are not our enemies. I totally get this isn't what folks are trying to say, but it's vital to keep this perspective nonetheless.
  • The government of China, which for convenience I'll call the PRC, has done and is doing some awful things, and I totally respect the drive to vote with your dollars and avoid buying products made in China in protest of the PRC's behavior.
  • Trade is the single greatest tool that the good people of Earth have to keep our governments from going to war with each other, so refraining from trade is a double-edged sword. I don't mean to suggest which option you should choose, only that we should all think very carefully about the choice.
  • Aren't Savage centerfire actions and barrels made at their Westfield Mass HQ? I understand some of their shotguns (and if left to assume I'd assume their plastic rifle stocks) are made in China, and some/all of their rimfires are made in Canada, but it's not like they shut down their main factory here in the states, right?

Maybe the accustock will work out for you but they aren’t much better than the old style Tupperware savage stocks. I restocked @Bluffgruff Savage to get rid of the accustock and it solved the inconsistencies he was experiencing between shooting off a bench vs a bipod vs a pack (multiple MOA differences among these shooting positions based on forend pressure, even though the barrel was fully floated).

Your options are limited for Savage, and you always have to consider which style sear and bottom metal you have. Bell and Carlson make some good options but no Bell and Carlson is truly drop-in (in my opinion); they require fitting and ideally bedding too. Stocky’s makes some good options that are more drop-in ready.

I normally stray away from political discussions, but since I'm the OP and I'm an economist by trade, I'll offer a few thoughts:
  • The people of China are not our enemies. I totally get this isn't what folks are trying to say, but it's vital to keep this perspective nonetheless.
  • The government of China, which for convenience I'll call the PRC, has done and is doing some awful things, and I totally respect the drive to vote with your dollars and avoid buying products made in China in protest of the PRC's behavior.
  • Trade is the single greatest tool that the good people of Earth have to keep our governments from going to war with each other, so refraining from trade is a double-edged sword. I don't mean to suggest which option you should choose, only that we should all think very carefully about the choice.
  • Aren't Savage centerfire actions and barrels made at their Westfield Mass HQ? I understand some of their shotguns (and if left to assume I'd assume their plastic rifle stocks) are made in China, and some/all of their rimfires are made in Canada, but it's not like they shut down their main factory here in the states, right?
I agree it’s not all the people. Don’t mistake that. I didn’t say hate them. Let’s not fund our enemies which is certain govts

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back