Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Talk me into Coyote hunting

Question on coyotes and livestock depredation: Is this only a west of the Mississippi issue? I grew up on a cattle farm and my folks still have one (central NC). I don’t know that we have ever lost a calf due to coyotes. And they certainly are abundant around here.
It happens but rarely, harder on the sheep and goats mostly around lambing/calving season. Bears kill more livestock around here then coyotes. I think there's so many other things to eat they don't have to mess around with such large prey.

Question on coyotes and livestock depredation: Is this only a west of the Mississippi issue? I grew up on a cattle farm and my folks still have one (central NC). I don’t know that we have ever lost a calf due to coyotes. And they certainly are abundant around here.
Could be, when I was a mechanic for a dairy here in california, we would lose several new born calves a year. They'd come out at night and go for the newly dropped calves many were left still alive with huge chunks taken out of their back or a leg missing.

They kill new born calves here usually as a pair. I know they hear a cow billowing during birth and take the calves right out of her. I have seen it. A cow on blm with a calf head hanging out of her that probably needed pulled. I noticed her because she was spinning in circles with two coyotes trying to get the calves head. I didn't have a gun but went over and scattered the whole scene.

They kill new born calves here usually as a pair. I know they hear a cow billowing during birth and take the calves right out of her. I have seen it. A cow on blm with a calf head hanging out of her that probably needed pulled. I noticed her because she was spinning in circles with two coyotes trying to get the calves head. I didn't have a gun but went over and scattered the whole scene.
That's why my uncle's hired man's primary job description is shoot coyotes, then check the water, feed, and do suppliments while he's looking for coyotes.

794EB8C1-7BC8-4A54-ADD4-553245894DF3.jpeg

No wind this morning, sunny, and very cold. Southern Indiana male coyote at 16 steps. Predator hunting is fun between the fall and spring hunts.

My friend will tan the hide for me to hang in the corner of trophy room. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

Last edited:
Great way for hunting permission is be a good coyotes and beaver trapper
This. I’ve found that it’s easy to grease the skids with farmers and land owners if you start with predator control, particularly on land where farmers have chickens, ducks, sheep, etc.

Regarding population control, agreed it’s hard (impossible) to make an impact, the exception being sustained hunts on a limited area, like a farm. Out here in the east, folks often say hunting yotes is like hunting ghosts. 😂 They’re smart critters that will often just hang up or circle until they catch your wind. Sneaky bastards!

Seem's to me I read somewere that coyote's main source of food is rodent's and bird eggs. I shoot them now and then but just don't get worked up actually hunting them. I also suspect that guy's that do hunt them don't make much of a dent in their population. If there were a way to make a decent income off shooting them, I might give it a go then though!

Between that and the hunting contests (AKA amateur hour), they've become increasingly hard to kill over the past decade or so.
Yep. I’ve seen so much dumb stuff with people calling it’s unreal. They aren’t as smart as a fox, but smart enough not to get fooled twice. I watched a guy have a coyote circle him downwind within 50 yards of a guy last fall then bolt. He never even seen it. Not to mention he was sitting Indian style in an open grass field with the caller about 3’ from him blaring rabbit in distress for as loud as he could, looking upwind like they were gonna run right to him.

The tv shows only show the starving ones come bolting straight into a call. They don’t show the ones that circle or lay down and watch. Which is about 95% of them.

I can count on 1 hand how many I’ve had just run to their death into a call, and most of those seen my turkey decoys and came in.

If you want motivation, they kill pets like mad wherever they're common. Farm birds too.

We have chickens. I've yet to shoot a yote but I did kill a fox that took our rooster several years ago.

I never have been much of a predator hunter but had a friend in Montana I used to go out with now and then. He called at night but never saw him call one in. The coyote's I've killed, I bumbed into hunting something else, just been a few. Shoot For some reason I even bought a call. Know what I found out? Use the fawn in distress call and every doe in the country come's in! There was one predator I did hunt quite a bit. Talked to a guy from Kansas that did varmints for the hides and he called them Prairie Sable, house cats!

trying to get started in predator hunting also. Very interested but don't know anyone that goes. Anyone have any suggestions as to online sites, calling instructions, etc. or is it better to just to get out there and start calling, learn the hard way?

Where I’m at in MD we need yote shooters.. tough to have access for the average guy to shoot them though

Back