Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Talk me into Coyote hunting

FairWeather

Considering trying out coyote hunting as a way to hunt through the off season, and work on predator calling in hopes it’ll help come bear season.

My hang up is, what the heck do you do with it afterwards? I’m not going to eat it (unless that’s a thing?) so it seems kinda wasteful. The fact that they’re dogs doesn’t help either. I get that they’re undomesticated…but they’re still a dog. Similar to how everyone was shooting the wild dogs in Afghanistan, just doesn’t feel right.

I’ve heard or read that they aren’t hunted/controlled enough, and their predation is part of what’s leading to the slow growth (or decline even) of the blacktail, turkey, and elk populations. Is there any data to show that hunting them actually makes a difference in reducing the overall coyote population, or helps recover deer/elk/turkey populations?

i don't know about the actual data, but i feel like i've heard that hunting them does nothing really. you'd need extensive targeted hunting campaigns to make a difference, which isn't happening.

i personally have zero interest in hunting them. you could eat it, but, if you don't want to eat it, why bother.

They're really hard on fawns in the spring. I heard a number thrown around last year of 9 fawns per spring per Coyote. But that seems awfully high. I'd guess 2 or 3, but that's just a guess.

I trap coyotes. Skin and sell the fur. Not worth much this year, but I still like to try and keep numbers down. At $60/pelt last year they were worth it. This year it's 10-15$ a piece. Not really worth it. But even if you save 1 fawn/calf per Coyote killed its worth it imo.

It's a good excuse to go out hunting when most other seasons are closed.

They're really hard on fawns in the spring. I heard a number thrown around last year of 9 fawns per spring per Coyote. But that seems awfully high. I'd guess 2 or 3, but that's just a guess.

I trap coyotes. Skin and sell the fur. Not worth much this year, but I still like to try and keep numbers down. At $60/pelt last year they were worth it. This year it's 10-15$ a piece. Not really worth it. But even if you save 1 fawn/calf per Coyote killed its worth it imo.

It's a good excuse to go out hunting when most other seasons are closed.
Where do you sell the pelts? Just through an online retailer, or is there a bounty system where you are?

I'm not really sure there is a great reason to hunt them, but there also is no real reason no to hunt them. They are one of the few creatures that man has never been able to destroy population wise. As far as "managing predation," from what I understand there would have to be a hyper localized effort to really impact coyote numbers. Maybe hunting them right around the time fawns drop could be beneficial? Don't know. I really like the look of winter coyote hides that are skinned out. You can sell them too. Sustainable, renewable resource!

Coyote hides arnt getting 10 dollars this year. Shooting them is alot of fun though. It's like prarie dogs, you'll never shoot enough to make a difference.

Sold these fall beavers today. I had a big run of beavers didn’t skin any kits but everything was XL or larger. I’m going to have to become pro beaver trapper for a couple weeks this spring when the ice breaks out.
View attachment 260296
Nice! It's basically the only thing worth trapping right now in terms of money. I do it more so for damage control!

It’s inhumane and stupid to hunt coyotes. Very wasteful if you aren’t going to cut them up and eat them. It’s a waste of gas and time. Nobody should do it except for me.
Beat me to it. I don't hunt em near as much as I used too, used to be my favorite animal to hunt. Now every swinging dick has an e caller.

Beat me to it. I don't hunt em near as much as I used too, used to be my favorite animal to hunt. Now every swinging dick has an e caller.
I've noticed that around here. Guys who do it successfully on the regular and usually doing it at night with thermals. That's 5k I don't want to spend!

The glory days are certainly behind us. It would be tough being an adult onset coyote hunter coming up in these conditions. It’s cold it’s windy little to no action, smart dogs that aren’t fooled by stinky humans. I could go on and on. It’s miserable to say the least.

Back