Caribou Gear Tarp

Takedown Gun

CORN

Looking to get a takedown rifle to throw in a backpack and pull out it take a squirrel or two while backpacking during the summer.

Years ago I had a Henry Survival Rifle, loved the concept but was notoriously unreliable, sent it back to Henry to get them to look at it, they said they fixed the issue but had the same result when I got it back, so ended up trading it for another rifle.

That was more than a decade ago, and now I'm seeing a lot of positive reviews on the Henry when I look online, what gives? Have they improved the design? Did I get a lemon? Anyone have one they can vouch for?

Or should I just go with a takedown 10/22, thoughts?

I can't help, but I've wanted a Henry Survival .22 for as long as I can remember. I'm hoping you got a lemon because I'm all but guaranteed to buy myself one at some point lol.

Looking to get a takedown rifle to throw in a backpack and pull out it take a squirrel or two while backpacking during the summer.

Years ago I had a Henry Survival Rifle, loved the concept but was notoriously unreliable, sent it back to Henry to get them to look at it, they said they fixed the issue but had the same result when I got it back, so ended up trading it for another rifle.

That was more than a decade ago, and now I'm seeing a lot of positive reviews on the Henry when I look online, what gives? Have they improved the design? Did I get a lemon? Anyone have one they can vouch for?

Or should I just go with a takedown 10/22, thoughts?
My 10/22 takedown shoots like a dream after a couple of cheap aftermarket tweaks (bolt release, mag release, recoil buffer, extractor).

My 10/22 takedown shoots like a dream after a couple of cheap aftermarket tweaks (bolt release, mag release, recoil buffer, extractor).

The only bad thing I've ever heard about the 10/22 is the cost. Every person that I know that has owned one has loved it, even if it takes a couple minor tweaks.

The size/weight/ability to pack into it's stock make me really prefer the Henry Survival to the 10/22. If they haven't improved on the design though and it chokes constantly, I'm gonna hate the SOB, so may end up going with the 10/22. Why the aftermarket tweaks? Did you need them to get it to function reliably or was it more for fun/to pimp out your gun?

The size/weight/ability to pack into it's stock make me really prefer the Henry Survival to the 10/22. If they haven't improved on the design though and it chokes constantly, I'm gonna hate the SOB, so may end up going with the 10/22. Why the aftermarket tweaks? Did you need them to get it to function reliably or was it more for fun/to pimp out your gun?
Functioned fine, but none of my guns sit factory for long - I am a tweaker, there is always room for improvement. As for as packability, the MagPul Backpacker x22 is a real improvement replacement stock for the 10/22 - YMMV. As for Henry/armalite, I tried a buddies 5 years ago and it shot like cr*p. I would go with 10/22 in a backpacker stock and give up a little space to have a gun that actually shoots smoothly.

I also have the 10/22 takedown and put the above mentioned stock on it and it was a great upgrade. I installed the trigger upgrade that ruger put out which also improved the accuracy a fair bit. Going from from 6lbs of pull down to 2 3/4 was noticeably more enjoyable for me. also the stock upgrade allows me to pack the rifle without need for the bag it comes with since the barrel attaches to the stock directly when broke down. I will post some photos of mine when I get home tonight. I threw a 2-7x33 leupold on top of mine as well.

If you are going Keltec .223 then you have to love RDB-survival. One of the funner guns in the safe. But not really in the same price range as OPs original question.

EB6663D7-C9D5-46B1-AB60-352DD4DA3626.jpeg

Thanks for the feedback gents. May be leaning towards a 10/22 despite it being heavier/longer than the Henry, because as far as I can tell the design on that one hasn't changed and I don't have patience for the constant failures of the Henry.

I have seen the keltec offerings, cool options but for this rifle I'm looking for as small and light as possible, and only need it for squirrel/ rabbit so I'm gonna stick with .22.

but for this rifle I'm looking for as small and light as possible, and only need it for squirrel/ rabbit so I'm gonna stick with .22.

Does it have to be an auto? If not Chiappa Little Badger all the way. I love mine.

They come in .17HMR and .22WMR too if you want to zip things up a little.

Supposed to be a .17wsm as well. I waited two or three years for it to show up after the announcement and it never did so I finally grabbed a .22lr.

Don't forget to check out the Browning SA-22. This little rifle feels great in the hand, and looks beautiful too. Just as importantly, it get's the job done. I got mine to be able to put in my survival kit while flying and it fits great.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back