Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Take a kid fishing

A-con

This weekend my sons Boy Scout troop went camping and fishing at my favorite high country lake.
The bad news;
A major forest fire (the "Rough fire") is raging twenty miles away down the same canyon, and the smoke became un- bearable by late Saturday, so we bailed out early.
The good news;
We had an epic day of fishing before it got too smoky.
I took 8 different scouts out on my boat, one or two at a time.
I lost count of how many trout we boated, but it was at least 40. Several of the boys had never been fishing before, and several others had only been once or twice. Everybody got at least two fish in the boat, and most of the boys caught 5 or 6, ranging from 8” to 18”.
BSA rules say I can’t post identifiable face shots, here are some photos I can post.

Three weeks ago, and yesterday.

The boy on the left in the yellow PFD had never been fishing before, he boated 4.
Mandatory rules, all boys buckle up a PDF before getting in the boat.

a 12" Rainboy about to be netted.

Sunrise on the lake.

These two boys have only been fishing once or twice.
At one point, they were double up, reeling in fish at the same time.
I would have loved to get a photo of it, but I was too busy steering the boat trying to keep them from crossing lines and getting tangled. We boated both fish.

Selfie of my best fish, about 18". I didn't fish much, just concentrated on the boys getting fish. I did catch about 12 myself.

That's awesome! That's one of the things I like about being involved with the Boy Scouts. You get to show kids that might not otherwise get to see or experience the outdoors. Thanks for serving.

I love taking kids fishing, Especially the Boy Scoputs. They are all nice polite young men who appreciate it and say thank you.
When they are trolling on my boat, useing my gear, it's like every fish they catch is a fish I caught.

Were the ones that have never been fishing before educated about hunting?

Fantastic work. Nothing better than getting the kids out there. I took my two nephews just this past weekend. They had only been fishing once before. Had a great time.

Up-date
The smoke from that fire, the Rough fire (still burning) has keep me out of the mountians for the last three weeks. Checking the weather reports, it look like the wind would be favorable yesterday morning, blowing the smoke away from my favorite lake, so I loaded the baot and my son and away we went.
Hit the water at 7am, and had a fish on the line within 30 seconds !
We trolled until 10:45 am, and the breeze shifted and the smoke started rolling in, so we got outta there.
We boated 20 trout. I love taking kids fishing, but I like taking my son the most.

Clear at 8am

They have been letting water out of the lake, down to be used fighting the fire.
This doe and her offspring had to walk a couple of hundred yards across rocks to get a drink.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back