Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Tag Soup How Many Have Had It

I once chewed on Stone Sheep tag Jerky for three years! It was nasty!
I did finally get the taste out of my mouth when I was able to go again, with another outfitter, and found the sweet flavor of success.
Ouch, but glad you were able to pull it off in round 2!

Character limit would be exceeded. I mean who leaves an hour after daylight to start driving to where you will be hunting moose and goat? Seriously!?

It felt good when we were about to leave and the guide was expecting a tip, and I looked at him and then just walked away.

Crazy thing though is my dad took some slammer animals on previous hunts and the other guy in our camp took a 10.5” Billy with excellent hair. Different guides though.
That sucks, lot of your hard work goes into paying for something like that not to mention the anticipation.

I have no issue eating tag soup on DIY hunts. If I ever go on an outfitted hunt I think I would choke to death on that recipe.

When I was 13, I got very lucky and drew a MT moose tag. In a not so lucky turn of events, a week after the season opener I broke my right shoulder pretty bad playing fall football, my shooting shoulder, still the only bone I've ever broken.

After having to sit out a few weeks, I still couldn't shoot from my right shoulder with the break still healing, so I practiced shooting lefty. I was able to get comfortable enough to shoot accurately off a bipod lefty, and hunted the last couple weeks of the remaining season in November with my dad.

By then the rut was over, snow was getting deep, and bulls were tough to find, even when tracks were cut, they just seemed to go forever. We hunted hard, walked a lot of miles, but never did fill my tag.

That one still hurts 16 years later, and I'm sure will hurt for a long time.

I eat some sort of tag every year. I simply don't have the time to hunt hard for every tag...except turkey.
Every third year I kill an elk. Between years I focus on deer ...and antelope( if I get the tag). Is what it is...if I can find a week to focus on one animal I'm psyched.

Utah LE Muzzleloader bull elk. It took me 14 years to draw the tag. Opening day came and we were in a canyon with a bunch of love sick bulls. I hit a great bull and never found him. After two full days of searching, I notched my tag and called it a wrap.

Every time I drive past the unit, I remember the hunt and it still stings a little.

Last edited:
I make a big pot of tag soup each year with MT doe tags I purchased to throw in the garbage.
I second that-
Que the Sarah Mclachlan... "for just $0.05 a day, you can save the life of a mule deer doe... don't wait, act now."

76845034-CA70-4968-BE89-69DB80D290C4.jpeg
Didn’t get a shot on 10 day Dahl Sheep backpack hunt in Brooks Range, Alaska, August 2020. We studied this ram for over 2 hours. He was close but just not full curl. Disappointed after that hunt but life always works out for the best. (Never one to quit - I am already rebooked for Alaska 2025 hunt with same outfitter and unit.)

Luckily, I drew and killed this Arizona desert bighorn sheep, pictured below, this past December 2022, Unit 45C, Kofa NWR. So blessed, grateful, and thankful, TheGrayRider.

8FBB0B03-059A-4B85-A117-9EC872C969DE.jpeg

In 5 years I’ve only shot one elk, so that’s 4 tags. I buy a region wide doe tag and 1 of 5 shoulder season doe tags every year, and I hardly ever shoot does.. I’ve bought two wolf tags and never shot a wolf, although I do see them.. got lucky on my first and only bear tag, and antelope tag…

tag soup is always an expected side dish, never an entree.

If I drew any of the big 3, and ate soup…… man, I don’t even want to think about that……. 😩

When I was 13, I got very lucky and drew a MT moose tag. In a not so lucky turn of events, a week after the season opener I broke my right shoulder pretty bad playing fall football, my shooting shoulder, still the only bone I've ever broken.

After having to sit out a few weeks, I still couldn't shoot from my right shoulder with the break still healing, so I practiced shooting lefty. I was able to get comfortable enough to shoot accurately off a bipod lefty, and hunted the last couple weeks of the remaining season in November with my dad.

By then the rut was over, snow was getting deep, and bulls were tough to find, even when tracks were cut, they just seemed to go forever. We hunted hard, walked a lot of miles, but never did fill my tag.

That really sucks, but if it makes you feel any better, I have gotten 2 moose tags in Montana and gotten them both...

And this is how I figured out who you are! Ryan! I felt your pain back then.

The only tag soup that I even consider is for something that can't be hunted again the following year. Such as I have not killed a deer in maybe 20 years, but always have a tag, just in case.

Many years ago I ate a sheep tag in NW British Columbia. That one was by far the most bitter. We just could never find a good ram. I passed on a moose on the same trip, without a second thought.

I've drawn three cow moose tags in Montana and one Mountain goat tag. The last moose tag went unfilled. That was disappointing, but not that bad.

Have yet to mess with the big three, but about 5 years ago I started keeping/collecting every unfilled tag (already a pretty good pile) to show to young hunters in case they get the wrong impression from my few trophies/momentos I have around. Or all of the BS on instagram etc. They’re stuffed in a gallon ziploc at the moment but I figure a big basket hanging from the wall might be fun at some point.

Last edited:
My first big three tag, DIY Kodiak Mtn Goat is this fall and I’m already dreading the possibility of eating tag soup on it. Hard not to think about the possibility when you’re putting forward a relatively significant amount of cash… I feel for all you guys on here who’ve eaten tag soup on a big three or any limited draw tag, those have got to be tough pills to swallow no matter the situation.

I eat some flavor of tag soup every year, but haven’t had one yet that really bothers me. As long as I fill one or two tags a season I’m pretty happy to eat the rest and hunt for friends/family tags or for birds.

Buy a bear tag every year, never killed one, not sure I care to, but might give it a real go this spring just cause.

Tag soup to me tastes good some years though when you let the nice young deer make it through on public land and he shows back up the following year, I’ve had that tag soup a few times, a few times it’s paid off..

Ate my antelope doe tag this year while seeing a few that were killable, but numbers in my area just didn’t seem good enough to take one out of the herd

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back