PEAX Equipment

Tacoma 2021

I’ve had 4. A 1985 and 1995 that were pre Tacomas. A 1998 and a 2018. They were all V6 except for the 1984. All were 4x4. If I could have any of them back, it would be the 1998. That truck was bulletproof.

I liked the 2018, but I needed something bigger for towing. The transmission is goofy, but it served me well. It was great in the mountains. Much smoother and easier to maneuver than larger trucks.

I currently own two Chevys. A 3/4 ton and a 1 ton. I’m looking to swap one for a Tacoma. I’m trying to decide if I should trade the old 3/4 ton for an older Tacoma or trade the newer 1 ton for a new one.

I had a 2011 tacoma access cab 4.0 v6 trd offroad with the 6spd manual. It was a great truck, never a hiccup. Put new shocks, struts, brakes and rotors at about 120k miles. Thats all it ever needed. Totalled it at 138k. Bought a 5.3l v8 silverado trailboss to replace it. The chevy has more power, slightly better gas milage, a hell of a lot more space in the cab and bed, every bit as good of a turning radius. and is all around a better truck so far on short acquaintance. But time will tell if it will be a super reliable headache free rig like the yota was. Having a hard time getting past the auto tranny and no cd player thing, but aside from that it seems to be a superior vehicle in every aspect. Just the added space to store all my gear is such a huge benefit i couldnt ever go back to a tacoma. Oh and i got this bigger more powerful truck for under 40k, which is less than what youd pay for a decked out little taco with similar features.

I currently have a 1999 and 2018 TRD Off Road as well as 2002 and 1984 F150’s. I also had a 2011 Tacoma Off Road that my ex ended up w

If I am doing off pavement/gravel stuff, or offroad , I will be in a Tacoma every time.

The offroad capability between an F-150 and a Tacoma is really an apples to oranges type comparison in my opinion. My Tacoma will get in places that my F150 won’t come close to because of the size but the F150 has more ground clearance.

I am only 5’8 so no issues with interior space. I only wish I had the 6ft bed instead of the short bed on the Tacoma.

The shifting pattern on the Gen. 3 Tacoma takes a little getting used to. Once I figured it out I have no issues.

Won’t be an issue for you but the 2018 Tacoma doesn’t have Apple Car Play and I am not a huge fan of the navigation system. First world problems I know.

Not a ton of difference in fuel mileage between the two. I average about 21 HWY in the Tacoma with stock size Load range E A/T’s.

When it comes to payload and towing capacity. The F150 wins those hands down.

Last edited:
Here's my dilemma and reason for original posting. I have had two previous Tacoma's, a 1989, 4-cyl., 5-speed manual and a 1998 6-cyl., auto. (Why did I sell the 1998 beats me.) I really liked both of them, I only had to replace the starter in the '98 other than that I had absolutely no problems, very reliable and both would go anywhere, especially with chains. I do a lot of elk and deer hunting in CO and my F-150 is just to big to get into some of the spots I could easily drive a Tacoma. I don't need a tow truck or a tremendously big engine. The Tundra's size and 8-cyl., I don't need and the poor gas mileage I don't want. Now reading about the pros and cons of the 3rd generation Tacoma, the dilemma continues. Any additional 2021 Tacoma insight would be appreciated. Thanks!!

I would get the Tacoma and not look back.

I had a 2011 tacoma access cab 4.0 v6 trd offroad with the 6spd manual. It was a great truck, never a hiccup. Put new shocks, struts, brakes and rotors at about 120k miles. Thats all it ever needed. Totalled it at 138k. Bought a 5.3l v8 silverado trailboss to replace it. The chevy has more power, slightly better gas milage, a hell of a lot more space in the cab and bed, every bit as good of a turning radius. and is all around a better truck so far on short acquaintance. But time will tell if it will be a super reliable headache free rig like the yota was. Having a hard time getting past the auto tranny and no cd player thing, but aside from that it seems to be a superior vehicle in every aspect. Just the added space to store all my gear is such a huge benefit i couldnt ever go back to a tacoma. Oh and i got this bigger more powerful truck for under 40k, which is less than what youd pay for a decked out little taco with similar features.
Just keep the belly of that sucker clean, road salt is hell on Chevys.

one of my worst complaints on my new 2020 tacoma with the 3.5 v-6 are:: very low torque out of the hole,,sluggish /delayed throttle response,,a throttle improver box is a must on this new 3.5{sluggish for emission set up im sure} also even w 4.30 gears,6 speed stick,1st gear is not low enough for the larger 285/70/16 mudders i put on with 3" of lift//really needs 4.56 or 4.88 gears as 6 speed is a double overdrive//also factory stereo speakers are crap//not really used to all the sensors on a 2020//i think a good 2nd gen with the 4.0 up to 2015 yr might be a better overall truck,,i had a 2000 and loved it,,,tough as nails//not so sold on my 2020,but it is nice,,only 6 k on it now soits still new.

one of my worst complaints on my new 2020 tacoma with the 3.5 v-6 are:: very low torque out of the hole,,sluggish /delayed throttle response,,a throttle improver box is a must on this new 3.5{sluggish for emission set up im sure} also even w 4.30 gears,6 speed stick,1st gear is not low enough for the larger 285/70/16 mudders i put on with 3" of lift//really needs 4.56 or 4.88 gears as 6 speed is a double overdrive//also factory stereo speakers are crap//not really used to all the sensors on a 2020//i think a good 2nd gen with the 4.0 up to 2015 yr might be a better overall truck,,i had a 2000 and loved it,,,tough as nails//not so sold on my 2020,but it is nice,,only 6 k on it now soits still new.
What kind of mileage are you getting?

i got 21 when all stock//now w 3" of lift and bigger mud tires i now get 17 mpg,,figured id loose some milage with bigger heavyer tires.

I’ve had both. That Ford 3.5 twin turbo is an engineering feat! The Tacoma is frustratingly underpowered. Ford’s so much more comfortable and versatile. Both are extremely reliable

From what I've read over on tacomaworld.com was when the Gen 3's first came out in 2016 the shifting problems were attributed to incorrect tranny fluid level from the factory. Also, a TSB re-flash for the tranny cured most/all of the shifting problems of the Gen 3's.

The 2013-2015's are rated pretty high for reliability.

Last edited:
I'm guessing a decision has already been made but here goes anyway:

1) size - blessing and a curse. Now that I have a full size I miss being able to navigate narrow trails. Also living in a city the Tacoma was way easier to park. But once we had kids it was terrible trying to fit carseats in the small backseat. I'm not big at 5'9" but still had to push the driver seat far forward.
2) fuel economy - idk about others, but I get 2-3 worse mpg now with full size, but not a big deal IMO unless you are comparing to Tundra which is way worse from what tundra owners tell me.
3) reliability - not really sure Tacomas are significantly more reliable anymore. Not that their quality is worse, but the american companies have improved.
4) hauling/capability - the article someone linked is true. If u want to add big tires and tons of weight, dont get a tacoma. I think ford ranger has better payload rating.
5) resale - awesome benefit. I was able to upgrade to a full size GM 2 years newer with 40k fewer miles for $8k. And it had more features than the Tacoma.

So if u want a solo or 2 man hunting rig that you won't use to tow or haul much, and/or you live in a city, tacoma is the way to go. Nowadays, I'd strongly consider the other small pickups if I were looking at the tacoma. In 2013 there weren't many small pickup options like there are now.

Tacoma has no power. I had a 17. Not sure why it has a 6 speed transmission because the thing would never styay in 6th gear. it struggled to maintain 70 on the highway without gearing way down and winding the motor up. I just couuldnt stand that after coming from a silverado that would run 70 all day at 1500 RPms in 6th gear. I got 1mpg maybe 2 less in the Silverado

My 98 sr5 can still pass a semi@ 80. Automatic. Never had lack of power,but a bit tired with 300+K miles.
Never got it for towing or large loads,but it has done it.
I have an F-150 for that now. It never was an F-250 nor a Mustang.

Tacoma has no power. I had a 17. Not sure why it has a 6 speed transmission because the thing would never styay in 6th gear. it struggled to maintain 70 on the highway without gearing way down and winding the motor up. I just couuldnt stand that after coming from a silverado that would run 70 all day at 1500 RPms in 6th gear. I got 1mpg maybe 2 less in the Silverado
I see this said a lot and I would definitely say that my 18 is slightly under powered on the highway. I just haven’t really seen the whole shifting down thing that much except when loaded or going up hill.

I just returned from a trip where I had a long stretch of interstate with the cruise set on 83. I was running 2K RPM’s and averaging 22 MPG. It shifted down going uphill and that’s about it.

My thought process on buying an older Toyota truck was that cave dwelling, technology eschewing militant groups throughout the third world have waged successful insurgencies out of these trucks. If those dudes can keep these things running for the long term then I probably can too. Still waiting for Toyota to include a bed mounted anti-aircraft gun as a factory upgrade option though (mainly for any upcoming legal method-of-take additions to Montana’s war on elk shoulder season).

Also, my nearly 25 year old truck still gets about 19-20 mpg on the highway. Toyotas are pretty good rigs.

Last edited:
For hunters who don’t pull a heavy trailer, the Tacoma is hard to beat. They handle well in the woods and are dependable. I’m 6’3” with no problems. I drove a F150 before this and a F250 before that.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back