PEAX Equipment

Switching Ammunition: Predictions?

2rocky

Sighted in with Nosler Etip 180 grains in my .300 win Mag. Tried to get more and supplier was out.

Got 3 boxes of Hornady Superformance 165 gr GMX.

For entertainment purposes only......Where do you predict POI at 100 yds in relation to the Nosler Etips 180 gr.?

I'm thinking just 1-2" high. Your prediction?

I could also pick them up at Sportsmans Warehouse next week. Mail order ammo is no longer allowed where I reside...

Besides, I'll get some new perspective on how different ammo shoots in my rifle.

I'd say an inch or just under an inch lower. I used to shoot the Hornady Superformance 165 gr GMX and really liked it, but my rifle took Barnes better for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Really depends on your rifle and setup. Could be almost the same POI or could be drastically off.
Have you tried Barnes by chance?

At 100 yards you will see very little difference. I'm predicting 1" at the most.

Have you bought the blems from them before, that is a great price

Yes, this is my second order of these rounds through them. With $12 shipping and tax it’s like $83 for 2 boxes. Shoots just fine in my opinion. The supply is a little erratic, the don’t always have it in stock.

Maybe I’m missing something, but why the opinions that the Superformance 165 gr GMX ammo will group lower at 100 yds? It’s a hot load but is the Nosler even hotter, or are we assuming a 200 yd zero?

Maybe I’m missing something, but why the opinions that the Superformance 165 gr GMX ammo will group lower at 100 yds? It’s a hot load but is the Nosler even hotter, or are we assuming a 200 yd zero?

The answer is that at 100yds it’s extremely difficult to know and dependent on MANY factors unrelated to the ammo involved. As distance increases, muzzle velocity and BC become dominant enough that the other factors largely fade out of the results. At 1000yds the MEANINGFUL difference could be easily calculated if the ACTUAL muzzle velocity, and REAL BC were reported, along with actual range conditions and location. At 100yds, it’s ALMOST impossible to know the answer. Usually the difference would be somewhere around 1”-2” and could be in almost any direction. Sometimes it could be 4”-6”. DON’T GO CHANGING AMMO WITHOUT CHECKING AT THE RANGE!!!

Same weight/same muzzle velocity/different bullet, usually print in same place, but occasionally different powders don’t play well together, resulting in erratic POI for a few shots unless you clean between the switch.

Last edited:
The answer is that at 100yds it’s extremely difficult to know and dependent on MANY factors unrelated to the ammo involved. As distance increases, muzzle velocity and BC become dominant enough that the other factors largely fade out of the results. At 1000yds the MEANINGFUL difference could be easily calculated if the ACTUAL muzzle velocity, and REAL BC were reported, along with actual range conditions and location. At 100yds, it’s ALMOST impossible to know the answer. Usually the difference would be somewhere around 1”-2” and could be in almost any direction. Sometimes it could be 4”-6”. DON’T GO CHANGING AMMO WITHOUT CHECKING AT THE RANGE!!!

Same weight/same muzzle velocity/different bullet, usually print in same place, but occasionally different powders don’t play well together, resulting in erratic POI for a few shots unless you clean between the switch.
So...WAG.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back