Caribou Gear Tarp

SWFA Rifle Scopes

HighDesertSage

Who here has them or used them? I'd love to hear the good and bad. Repeatability and tracking are most important features to me. I want scopes that hold zero even when knocked around. Right now now I am running a NightForce NXS and Vortex PST Gen II, and they both have been excellent. How does the SWFA compare?

Thanks all.

I have several. They're super reliable and super durable.
My lady dropped an entire stack of splitboards (snowboards) on one of mine while mounted. Absolutely nothing happened to it other than some very minor cosmetic damage.
Now I won't use any other scopes

Don't have one but have messed with one on a budget target rifle a guy was messing with at the range this summer. I liked it. Good glass, positive clicks, stout build and planned on buying one last week when their 3-15s FFP were on sale but didn't have the funds. I'm disappointed that they don't include zero stop shims. The one SWFA scope I'd stay away from is their Ultralight because it has such a low eye relief that you could easily get scoped.

I've had a straight 10X on a .243 for many years. Scope is very repeatable, reliable and clear. The only negatives on this scope is the turret is a little " mushy" compared to my more expensive scopes, and they come with no zero stop. I have since added an after market zero stop and solved that problem.
Very good bang for your buck.

They are not perfect, but to me they are the best value going for spinning turrets. I've had 7 or 8 now I guess, currently have 3. All have tracked repeatably and held zero. The zero stop kits for them are a nice option. I have shot the PST and one NXS but not owned them so cannot compare well. SWFA's are bare bones; for a no nonsense value in the category I see no better option on the market, just my opinion. I do slightly prefer the LRHS for a variable, but even used they're 3x the price of the fixed 6x/10x/12x SS's. If you think you might like them, pick up a fixed for sub $300 and use it while. If you hate it it's pretty easy to get $240-$250 back for them away from Black Friday.

Repeatability and tracking are most important features to me.

They're your huckleberry.

I have 2 6X's, 2 3-9's, and a 10X. Never a problem with any of them. Killed my antelope this year with a 6x on my .243 and an elk with a 6x on my 325 WSM.

Thanks for the feedback guys. My scopes tend to take a beating and so far the only 2 I have found that don't need to be re zeroed after a hunt are the NXS and PST Gen II. My PST actually took two blows on rocks this year during my elk hunt, even took a chip out of the bell. Took it to the range and printed a 3 shot group perfectly zeroed at 200. That's the kind of performance I am looking for.

I have a Tikka T3 that currently needs a scope, and I do not have the funds for another PST or NXS. So I am very glad hear the SWFA is up to the task. Where are you guys purchasing them? I found them on Amazon Prime, but only the Mil Models, really prefer MOA.

Thanks again.

Just got a 10x in the mail last week. The glass seems quite nice for the price and the turrets' "clickiness" can be fixed a bit by removing grease from under the caps. I'm entirely new to dialing and haven't purchased the gun this will go on yet so no reviews on the tracking at this point. The look and feel is solid, but that really doesn't mean much until you get to put it through its paces.

I ordered mine on their black friday deal directly from SWFA. Their prices are exactly the same as on Amazon and they have all the models you'll want, assuming they're still in stock.

You missed a hell of a sale last week. If you don't need one now I would wait for another sale
They usually have another big sale around tax time.

I snagged a 3-9X40 for a recently acquired Tikka 260. I have high hopes.

I have two, 6x and two, 10x on rifles now. I really like them all, but for me, the 10x is the winner, as my eyes like a bit more magnification. I just bought another 10x on the sale, because I thought it prudent to have a backup scope. If you prefer variables, then the the 3x9 really has a lot of good feed back on it. I have shot deer at last light, both close and far, and the 10x has worked well for me. I have a few other scopes, but I trust these more than any of them. Unless you step up to Nightforce etc., you will not find a better value.

Another good scope in that price range to look at is the Weaver Tactical. No zero stop but locking turrets. Everyone I’ve seen has had spot on tracking.

Only have one, a 6x with the mil reticle.

It's a darned good scope, and considering the minimal cost, it's terrific!

Haven't had it long, thought I'd give it a try. I like!

Guy

Too heavy, kinda ugly but the ones I have work really well. With your stated goals they are the cheapest option for you. I like my night force better but at more then twice the cost it's not surprising. Maybe I've had good luck but the SWFA's have been just as reliable as the NF.

Too heavy, kinda ugly but the ones I have work really well. With your stated goals they are the cheapest option for you. I like my night force better but at more then twice the cost it's not surprising. Maybe I've had good luck but the SWFA's have been just as reliable as the NF.

They are heavy, for sure, but so are the Nightforce. I have come to the conclusion, that scope weight is a trade-off. The really good ones are going to be heavier. That is why so many light scopes fail. If they are built light, then something has to be compromised. No more light ones for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back