Swarovski on ebay question.

Weight.

10x42's seem like overkill, if I'm carrying a spotting scope too.

What type of hunting and species will you be using them on? I never think my 10's weigh too much ever. Animals must be found if you are hunting, good optics is vital, i often pack in my 10's, a pair of 15's and sometimes a spotting scope. I can sleep, hunt, cook in the same clothes for many days, but you can't shoot what you can't see. I own 4 pairs of 10's and that is the smallest power size in my optic range.

There is always other areas to save weight, just in my opinion it can be fine tuned elsewhere in the kit, not with sacrificing optic performance.

Just my opinion of course mate.

There is always other areas to save weight, just in my opinion it can be fine tuned elsewhere in the kit, not with sacrificing optic performance.

Just my opinion of course mate.

No problem.

This year I'll be sheep hunting in Montana. Plus, black bear and blacktail deer in south east Alaska.

I'm just looking for a deal on a pair of 8x32's to try out. Some hunters suggest a compact pair of 10x25's is all you need when carrying a spotting scope.

No problem.

This year I'll be sheep hunting in Montana. Plus, black bear and blacktail deer in south east Alaska.

I'm just looking for a deal on a pair of 8x32's to try out. Some hunters suggest a compact pair of 10x25's is all you need when carrying a spotting scope.

Dustin, i would be getting the 10x42's for sure. Big glassing country by the sounds of it and have you ever tried to glass for 6 or 8 hours out of a day with a pair of 8's or 10x25's? Or even tried for a long duration to locate game with a spotting scope. 99.9% of the time i am finding animals in the binocular and then using the Spotting Scope for a better assessment or even quite often the 15's.

For me when using 10's if the country is a little thick, or i am glassing closer ranges, i just slow down my method of glassing to ensure i minimise missing animals, but for out longer the 10's just absolutely run rings around the 8's. So for me it is much easier to make the 10's work in close then to try to make 8's work out wide where they lack penetration.

And not that it is worth much, but for the past two decades i have probably spent 125-175 days a year guiding and/or hunting in a lot of different locations and a lot of the times hunt success does run on actually locating animals often and easily.

Last edited:
Well, I'm glad I waited. Found these 8x30 SLC's in mint condition for $575. Quick test on the back 40 has me impressed.

9D2F369F-D37A-461C-8FB3-EF079F5152AD-23489-0000164B6C58C5D4.jpg

I’ve been threatening to get me some of those new winged eye cups with the shield, they look pretty cool.

Just be careful when buying them off Ebay. These has been a constant problem of dirtbags stealing Ebay accounts and listing fake auctions for high end optics. Look at the sellers feedback and if he has not sold any optics in the past be careful it is not a scam.

Well, I'm glad I waited. Found these 8x30 SLC's in mint condition for $575. Quick test on the back 40 has me impressed.

9D2F369F-D37A-461C-8FB3-EF079F5152AD-23489-0000164B6C58C5D4.jpg

Nice purchase and that is a good price. Those 8x30 SLC are very nice and a pleasure to carry all day. I have a 1999 7x30 SLC ( same era) that I have loved since I bought them. Even though I have some other bino's and some that are newer- those SLC's are my go to pair most of the time.

I also have the winged eyecups/ cover and I also really like them.

No problem.

I carry a Zeiss 10x25's victory and a spotting scope as well. If you spend any extended period of time looking through them you will get tired.If you can go with the 10x42's....Just my opinion.....:cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleyhunter456
Back