Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Swans down...

1_pointer

BOY and I were able to fill our swan tags the second to last day of the season. The hunting isn't real technical, just stand on a dike on a refuge and wait for them to fly over close enough to shoot. I tipped on the night before, but it landed way into the 'no retrieval' area on the refuge. Not sure the hit was fatal, but... :( Switched to Hevi-Shot the next day and we folded 'em. They make a pretty good thud hitting ice... :D

SwanHuntBearRiverBirdRefugeUT200526.jpg

SwanHuntBearRiverBirdRefugeUT200530.jpg

Don't know how they taste, but I'll let you know. Might have to ask my dog though...;)

miller- When checking the bird in, the refuge worker said that about 400 of the1500 tags had been filled. However, I don't know if that was just from the refuge or the whole hunt. It's kinda cool that the swans spend a LARGE portion of their time on the Million Dollar Duck Club adjacent to the refuge, but they can't hunt them! :D I'm guessing they eat a bit of their duck chow... :D

Wally- Put in for next year! If you draw the non-res hunting license is $80 + $5 for the swan tag.

A funny/sad story from the refuge. So, this guy is out hunting for his swan and the birds are flying low and frequently. The guy down the dike has dropped 7!!! He walks over and asks him what he's doing. He replies that he can't believe how many snow geese are in the area!! Heard he left the refuge in cuffs...

Nice going 1 pointer. Pass shooting those big birds is a kick in the pants. I found the taste similar to goose. Did you check out that thick plumage, that stuff stops steel shot!

Yeah, their bellies have the thickest/densest feathers I've seen. My wife wanted to pluck'em for a pillow. :confused:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sinhba
Back