Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

SW Montana or Colorado Archery Elk

Zim

I'm pretty disgusted by outfitter welfare stealing my LE hunting tags the last two straight years. 300+ points yet drew nothing in 8 states. Been a long while since I hunted OTC, but can't stand missing another September in the Rockies. Solo backpacked previously, but getting older now (55), with some health issues, so would feel better sharing a camp for safety purposes. Thinking of doing a leftover general elk combo tag for SW Montana, or maybe Colorado OTC, but I think quality would be better in MT.

I'm from Illinois but have hunted out west for 20 years, and taken 4 trophy bulls during that time, so I don't need or expect much now. Just would like to get into elk in stalkable terrain and have an enjoyable trip, maybe some trout fishing too. I get along with anyone but psychos. It would be nice to find someone in a similar predicament, someone with elk experience but who failed to draw anything this year.

I thought about trying some of the MT Block Management properties. Did that for deer back in the 90's. Open to chat and compare ideas. Thanks.

Ya I guess I should have mentioned, I have a pretty flexible schedule, but typically devote 2 full weeks when I do archery elk. I can actually shift my hunt time at the last minute if I want. Also I have 4 tents from bivy to a 12' x 12' Alaknak wall tent depending on hunt type.

I wish I could help you Ken. I drew CO LE this year otherwise MT general was my fall back. I think you are on the right track as far as which state. (My preference for MT also is related to driving distance for me).

What I will say is that I think the weather is a little more precarious in MT for later hunting. MT archery can go into October, but that doesn't mean you will have "archery" weather! ;)

I wish I could help you Ken. I drew CO LE this year otherwise MT general was my fall back. I think you are on the right track as far as which state. (My preference for MT also is related to driving distance for me).

What I will say is that I think the weather is a little more precarious in MT for later hunting. MT archery can go into October, but that doesn't mean you will have "archery" weather! ;)

You flatlanders are sooo soft. A little snow never hurt anybody:D

Zim- Are you as "cheeful" in camp as you are here? ;) Do you promise NOT to talk about drawing statistics or point schemes? ;)

:D

Zim- Are you as "cheeful" in camp as you are here? ;) Do you promise NOT to talk about drawing statistics or point schemes? ;)

Haha, I was thinking the same thing... was actually thinking this guy whines more than anyone on the internet about not drawing a tag. Poor, poor Zim. :(

There are just as big of bulls on OTC units in CO, or really easy to draw units as there are in those stolen tag units you so covet.

Haha the reason I am pissed at not drawing has nothing to do with me not getting a LE tag even though I deserve and paid my dues for it. It is because of my hatred for government entitlements to the undeserving Obamarama folks. I am 55, had my own business for 20 years, yet never asked for nor received any entitlements, not even unemployment. Not once. You see I actually work for real, and my business stood by it's merits. Whiny outfitters and landowners who beg and bribe legislators for handouts just don't cut it with me.

As to my personality in camp I pretty much joke the whole time and talk too much........as long as there's nobody there on food stamps or any other unsustainable Johnson Administration welfare program...............or attorneys or panhandlers. THAT is what I go hunting to escape from.

Last edited:
Haha the reason I am pissed at not drawing has nothing to do with me not getting a LE tag I deserve and paid my dues for. It is because of my hatred for government entitlements to the undeserving. I am 55, had my own business for 20 years, yet never asked for nor received any entitlements, not even unemployment. Not once. You see I actually work for real, and stand by my merits. Whiney outfitters and landowners who beg and bribe legislators for handouts just don't cut it with me.

As to my personality in camp I pretty much joke the whole time and talk too much........as long as there's nobody there on food stamps or any other unsustainable Johnson Administration welfare program...............or attorneys or panhandlers. THAT is what I go hunting to escape from.
Well, you almost took it as a joke like I intended. Good luck on whatever you choose. I'd consider throwing in with you, but I drew a LE elk tag again this year... :eek: :D

Well, you almost took it as a joke like I intended. Good luck on whatever you choose. I'd consider throwing in with you, but I drew a LE elk tag again this year... :eek: :D

Hope you get it in the mail before Don Peay-to-Play or some other thief intercepts it.

The part about not being able to deal with psychos knocked me out;good luck.BTW, I'd be going to Mt on a general tag any day over Co. otc

Psychos

The part about not being able to deal with psychos knocked me out;good luck.BTW, I'd be going to Mt on a general tag any day over Co. otc

I've known at least 3 certifiable, the worst of which is an ex girlfriend. I'm too old to fool with any of that anymore.

Good luck I burned max for a great archery hunt there two years ago.

How did that hunt go? I saw on another forum you mentioned that too but I never remember seeing any threads about how your hunt went.

How did that hunt go? I saw on another forum you mentioned that too but I never remember seeing any threads about how your hunt went.

I passed on 6 bulls in bow range up to approx. 320", but saw several different 350" type bulls so I held out. Was getting closer and closer to zoning in, but then got hammered with 2 feet of snow and it was end game! But I had a fantastic time with no regrets. I probably would have got my shot if I had two more days. This hunt would have been better if I were close enough to scout a bunch of that during summer. I envy those that live close enough to do this. Good value hunt for the points.

Zim, have you found anyone yet to hunt with in MT. I was going to CO this year but can change state. I am flexible with the dates and time. I retied last year at 58. The place I work at moved over sea.

its further but what about Idaho? tag is cheaper for sure and not nearly as many hunters from my experiences. just a thought....

Back