Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Suplimental feeding

Jeff Fogle

Hi all!!! Im new here!!! I would like to know what you like to use when suplimental feeding your deer herd?? Thanks,

Jeff Fogle

Don't do any feeding, but would like to welcome you to Hunt Talk.

Jeff,

Welcome to the Moosie's! Here's My Secret Formula:

I prefer to hunt areas supplemented with a some cliffrose (bitterbrush), some big sage, and a sprinkling of some aspen groves......Yup, mother nature is definately the head farmer here out west.
Now if she could just stop development and let it rain some more!

BOHNTR )))------------>

Jeff, welcome to HuntTalk! Unlike some of our friends from the West, I don't think I'm better than you so I'll try to give you a real answer (sort of). ;) I'm just getting started with improving things on my hunting grounds. I'm hoping to develop a few small food plots and eventually some water holes to help improve the herd's nutrition. As far as actual feeds, I haven't really considered it because of the cost and health issues.

One thing you can do to improve conditions relatively quickly is to cut down some trees to create an opening, allowing new green shoots to sprout in the sunlight. If there's already an opening there, a good bush hogging will make it green up again for some quick browse.

I'm babbling. ;) So, whereabouts in WKY are you? :D

Sportsman's Choice golden nuggets is the cheap alternate to corn that is hot here right now. Its a lot more protein and less bulk to clog up their rumen and it has some vitamins and minerals, but not all they need. Its a good supplement though, it helps them, where the corn just keeps them going and serves as bait.

Can you put out food in Ky? Its legal? It is here, you pretty much have to do it or all the deer go to the neighbors, who is doing it.

Tom, it's legal to feed (and bait) deer in KY. I don't know of a lot of people who do it, but it is legal. It's illegal for turkeys, though.

I didnt buy my deer herd. No fences where i hunt. And for your question dgibson, I live in Ohio county! Thanks for the input, i have a vouple of tecomate monster mix fields, soybeans, and winter-wheat. I know i want to try supplimental feeding, but i also know that a high content of sugar can result in rotting teeth. Ill find something ;)

Jeff Fogle

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back