Super Glue in Inserts?

WyoDoug

Obviously, I am a novice archery hunter. I have always used someone else's equipment or bought already assembled arrows. I recently bought some new carbon arrows that require the inserts to be glued in. Is the Gold Tip glue they suggest the same thing as super glue? I tried looking it up but don't come up with concrete or even consistent answers. What about that Gorilla superglue. I know it needs to be impact resistant, but what do you suggest?

I read about using glue sticks. My wife uses those in her crafts. Does that really work? Maybe I steal one of hers LOL

I read about using glue sticks. My wife uses those in her crafts. Does that really work? Maybe I steal one of hers LOL

:LOL:
I don't think it is the same and I don't think I would try her craft glue. Although it might work for a while. The stick I use is designed for inserts and has a clear brown look to it. I just melt the tip, roll the insert on the melted part and push the insert in until flush. Then wipe the excess off with a paper towel or a rag. Sets and cools pretty quick.

I can't offer the specifics of why but regular super glue is very brittle. I used it for fletching for a little while and I was always regluing them. Then I got some Easton brand fletching glue and it appeared to be super glue, but it must have some additives that make it less brittle because it worked much better.
My advice is to get glue designed to be used for archery. It will work better than the handyman glue you buy in a hardware store.

I use two part epoxy for gluing inserts. Too many of the cyano based superglues are brittle.

I always find the manufacturer recommendations are better than a home brew solution.

Most of the craft glue is too soft. I use Stanley super strength hot melt; king of a light gold color. Roll the end of the shaft on your case lube pad then the glue ring will pop off without any residual.

I decided to go with manufacturer specs and pay a visit to the man store and get the recommended glue. Hate to chance arrow blades coming loose in middle of hunting.

I havent found even the impact resistant super glues to work particularly well with inserts.
I use either aae or gorilla glue two part epoxy.

Have used the 2 part epoxy’s for along time. Tried super glue once and left field points and inserts in bales - not happy. Like others have mentioned, it becomes brittle and has not impact resistance.
Hot melt doesn’t work for us - weather gets too hot.

I use low temp hot melt ( bohning blue glue) you need the lower temp glue as to not overheat the carbon. Heat the glue, smear onto insert, insert into shaft. Then dunk in cold water to cool it as quick as possible. Nice thing is then you can always reheat it and pull it or turn it. With super glue I highly recommend gel type. It won't cure as quick and allows you to slide the insert in the entire way. I've seen normal glue cure before the insert was fully seated.

I use super glue for inserts, but you gotta seat them into the shaft in a hurry. I've had it happen a couple times where the glue set just enough so I could only get the insert about 2 thirds of the way in.

I have been using the G5 blu glu for both my inserts and fletching this year. I have buried multiple arrows past the fletchings shooting 3d this year and have not had any separation. Only 1 vane even ripped.

Do a little time as a bow tech and what brand arrows dictated glue. Some carbons we had to use 2part, some fletching glue(suppose to be less brittle superglue) and aluminum we used glue stix. If used wrong 1 customer would be back in a week

I have been using the G5 blu glu for both my inserts and fletching this year. I have buried multiple arrows past the fletchings shooting 3d this year and have not had any separation. Only 1 vane even ripped.
Yeh I’m using this myself and highly recommend

I prefer the hot melt glue so you can potentially change inserts. I did this to provide a little more heft to my arrows for archery elk as opposed to whitetail. If you buy expensive arrows, having some flexibility is nice.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back