Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Sunday Pic of the Day

Highlights from my 1st Montana Hike 8.5 miles, I just picked a decent size of BLM and just went for it

You’ve got my attention
BE9F0DE5-67DC-41F0-AABB-8229EC30F09E.jpeg

The 1st valley I crossed and went to the top of the ridge on top left
F3B444B7-300F-4E03-8B6D-FE678400EA60.jpeg

There was elk on the top also, my 1st elk in the field encounter
ACA5D2AE-423A-4049-ABAB-53BDCCB49DCD.jpeg

The view from where the elk were, I dropped in this valley, crossed it to the next ridge, dropped off that and crossed the next valley and then crested the far Ridge and stopped at 4.33 miles and then came back
D9E23B38-3325-4465-8CEA-8B254513AD5F.jpeg

Cool rock formation I encountered on my way to the top of the third Ridge in
7EF8822A-A63B-48F7-A5FA-69E9B11EDF16.jpeg

2 of the 10 mule deer I encountered on my hike 120 yds or so
429B3A94-6B71-4FA4-B25B-2DADFEC2EB5D.png

The view from the 3rd ridge
B2665A0E-9EC5-4DA2-90BC-036B4EB35181.jpeg

My trophy from the trip
CF5F4844-AE91-4230-B3E9-E2DD74469869.jpeg

Last edited:
I always enjoy seeing the sage grouse photos posted by @mtmiller, and I have often thought that I would like to photograph them myself. Unfortunately, the nearest lek is over 1500 miles away. When I heard about a rooster who had taken up residence at a local bank, it hit me that fate had given me a substitute. 😀

235E2747-C394-4876-BAEE-5BA53588B7F8.jpegE7447C67-06B9-4AF4-8332-FEEF30A15B99.jpeg

Medicine Rocks is touted as the spot in Montana with the least ambient night light. The array of stars and the Milky Way were brilliant during the middle of the night, gawking up from our campsite.
The aura of this spiritual place visited by native Americans for thousands of years gave me the strongest "juju" I have felt in recent memory and draws me to want to return there for solace and reflection.

The highest point in the park is a rock named for Theodore Roosevelt, after he camped there in the late 1800's and provided this description:
"The sun was setting when we crossed the final ridge and come in sight of as singular a bit of country as I have ever seen. Over an irregular tract of gently rolling hills ... were scattered several hundred detached and isolated buttes or cliffs of sandstone ... cut and channeled by the weather into the most extraordinary forms; caves, columns, battlements, spires, and flying buttresses were mingled in the strangest confusion ... the sand gave everything a clean, white look. Altogether it was as fantastically beautiful a place as I have ever seen."

I value his words as the closest a man may come to wording a description. But the aura and visual images are not to be described by mere words.P1000584.JPG

P1000593.JPG

Medicine Rocks is touted as the spot in Montana with the least ambient night light. The array of stars and the Milky Way were brilliant during the middle of the night, gawking up from our campsite.
The aura of this spiritual place visited by native Americans for thousands of years gave me the strongest "juju" I have felt in recent memory and draws me to want to return there for solace and reflection.

The highest point in the park is a rock named for Theodore Roosevelt, after he camped there in the late 1800's and provided this description:
"The sun was setting when we crossed the final ridge and come in sight of as singular a bit of country as I have ever seen. Over an irregular tract of gently rolling hills ... were scattered several hundred detached and isolated buttes or cliffs of sandstone ... cut and channeled by the weather into the most extraordinary forms; caves, columns, battlements, spires, and flying buttresses were mingled in the strangest confusion ... the sand gave everything a clean, white look. Altogether it was as fantastically beautiful a place as I have ever seen."

I value his words as the closest a man may come to wording a description. But the aura and visual images are not to be described by mere words.View attachment 223983

View attachment 223985
Much prefer good JUJU to bad! I’ve always enjoyed the way Roosevelt would describe the places he visited, particularly those places and events that inspired him.

Back