Summer in Montana

Brian in Montana

A lot of people snow-bird it to escape the winter, but I'm considering migrating in the summer. I get tired of the cold and snow, but I'll take it over the heat, dust, and smoke. This is about the worst summer I can ever remember, at least in the Butte area.

I just mentioned this very thing to someone yesterday. We only have a couple of months of summer weather and look what we got this year.

A lot of people snow-bird it to escape the winter, but I'm considering migrating in the summer. I get tired of the cold and snow, but I'll take it over the heat, dust, and smoke. This is about the worst summer I can ever remember, at least in the Butte area.
Ain’t no better across homestake- and from what I hear- anywhere else in the state.

I've been planning a little backpack through-hike over a part of the CDT in the Anaconda Pintlar Wilderness. This afternoon I walked out of work and realized I couldn't even see the outline of the Highlands from uptown Butte. I think I'm going to just scrap my plans. Why climb mountains when you can't even see them? It's kind of depressing really.

The smoke is a mental game as much if not more than a physical one.

Yeah it can suck in someways, but every body of water you jump in feels wonderful. I’ve been hiking a fair amount recently and not a soul is out and about. I have the mountains to myself. Everyone is hiding in their filtered air-conditioned domiciles.

The nights are already getting longer. We are only a month away from September ridges where the big male blue grouse rule, and early mornings in the mountains right now can already bring the sound of bugling elk.

Don’t bag your trip. You will regret it. I’m doing a five day backpacking trip in two weeks. Some guys cut the ends of their toothbrushes off to save weight, others take a dump at the trail head and put their whiskey in plastic bottles instead of glass. I am the latter, so your mileage may vary, but smoky or not, this is good country and don’t you forget it.

Last edited:
It’s depressing for sure, I keep looking at the forecast hoping for rain and starting to dread the idea of another archery opener breathing ash. Sitting on my buddies porch in Clyde park right now and I can’t see the crazies… just nasty.. I wouldn’t mind 30” of white and 20 or so days of -25 right now to “fix” it. But a drive down a dirt road in the evening will remind you why we are here.

It’s depressing for sure, I keep looking at the forecast hoping for rain and starting to dread the idea of another archery opener breathing ash. Sitting on my buddies porch in Clyde park right now and I can’t see the crazies… just nasty.. I wouldn’t mind 30” of white and 20 or so days of -25 right now to “fix” it. But a drive down a dirt road in the evening will remind you why we are here.
In Laws sent me a picture up lower cotton wood creek in the crazies a week ago and the smoke was so thick.

Love that country

I went ahead and started getting stuff together tonight. I'm not feeling all that enthusiastic, but I'm going to go ahead and keep planning on it. Someone else said it on this thread, I'd regret it if I didn't go. Every single time in my life that I lamed out of hunting or something along those lines, I always regretted it.

Seems the wind has shifted to the north a little. Maybe that will clear it up some. One can hope.

The difference between summer in the south and summer in the rocky mountain west becomes very apparent when you see that people are planning backpacking trips in July/August/ up there.

Truck camping for a night isn’t even happening down here during the summer.

Drove through the smoke and backpacked in the pioneers last weekend. One day was clear and perfect next a little smoky but beats the hell out of sitting at home and fish don’t mind the smoke. Best part was we didn’t see another person, and I’ll take smoke over people any day! Get out there, it’s rarely as bad as you think it will be.

Supposed to be 105 heat index here today. And smoke from the fires in Canada have been bad too. At 6:30 it’s already 80 and the humidity is so thick you could cut it with a knife. My daughter and I went trout fishing the other day but never even cast the lines, we just swam the whole time! 60 degree water felt awesome!
1627472124352.jpeg

Back