Summer camping ideas

Dsnow9

I live in Denver area. Curious to hear others ideas about good spots to go camping for this summer that aren’t overloaded with people. I have a 2 year old and 6 year old daughter so much more than 4 hours from denver becomes a challenge but not out of the realm of possibilities. Probably do 4-5 four day weekend trips this summer.

Also accepting PM for your honey holes!

Last edited:
Saratoga Wyoming is nice area, only deer hunted it, always liked it.
I have spent a lot of time there and enjoy it! Thanks for the reminder. Built a zip line up there for one of the big ranches and have friends that own the medicine bow lodge (dude ranch). That will be on the list for sure.

I live in Denver area. Curious to hear others ideas about good spots to go camping for this summer that aren’t overloaded with people. I have a 2 year old and 6 year old daughter so much more than 4 hours from denver becomes a challenge but not out of the realm of possibilities. Probably do 4-5 four day weekend trips this summer.

Also accepting PM for your honey holes!
No help on camping spots, but I have a 3 and 7 year old. Hot tip: travel at night. Leave about the time they’ll go to sleep take turns driving with mom and boom!

No help on camping spots, but I have a 3 and 7 year old. Hot tip: travel at night. Leave about the time they’ll go to sleep take turns driving with mom and boom!
I wish. The two year old does not do well in the car at night. And when I saw doesn’t do well… I mean there is no calming her down and she will scream enough to give you a migraine way before she will give up and fall asleep. Hence the 4 or so hours. She does great for an hour, will take about a 2 hour nap and then be good for another hour or so after taking a long break. Hopefully the older she gets the better that will get.

Take couple days go 40 across (senic route) camp at flaming gorge in a remote cove, i80 to drive home quick at end.

If you want something a little different from the mountains Black Mesa state park in Oklahoma is just about 5 hours from Denver. Beautiful country with a nice camping area that has a small lake for fishing, never crowded, some decent trails one that has petrified dinosaur tracks that's kid friendly, along with some good wildlife viewing antelope, elk, mule and whitetail deer, even bighorn sheep in the winter only place I've ever seen a mountain lion. Now if you need a decent town within a hour with some amenities not so great Clayton NM is the closest "big" city. Oh and the sky is amazing out there not a drop of light to block the stars.

If you want something a little different from the mountains Black Mesa state park in Oklahoma is just about 5 hours from Denver. Beautiful country with a nice camping area that has a small lake for fishing, never crowded, some decent trails one that has petrified dinosaur tracks that's kid friendly, along with some good wildlife viewing antelope, elk, mule and whitetail deer, even bighorn sheep in the winter only place I've ever seen a mountain lion. Now if you need a decent town within a hour with some amenities not so great Clayton NM is the closest "big" city. Oh and the sky is amazing out there not a drop of light to block the stars.
Shhhhhhh

Why not just camp around places that you would want to hunt in? Find an alpine lake and go for it. Have fun while learning new country and doing a little scouting along the way.

Why not just camp around places that you would want to hunt in? Find an alpine lake and go for it. Have fun while learning new country and doing a little scouting along the way.
That’s a good idea too! Most of the time I hunt in an absolute hell hole 3-5 miles from the closest road…

Any alpine lake that is easy access within 3 hours of denver or going to be crammed with people.

That said, I found some good, close not too busy camping on the front range last year while scouting for deer. The ticket was to have no reason to go there. No lake, river, peak etc.

Lake Mcconaughy in NE is solid for swimming and camping on the beach, about 3 hours from Denver

There are some spots you can get away from the crowds near Leadville for a camp spot, then just a quick drive to the lakes if the streams aren't producing.

Glendo in Wyo?

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back