Caribou Gear Tarp

Summer Backpack Trip - Suggestions?

LCH

I'm probably going to do a backpacking trip with my uncle this summer, something like 4 days and 3 nights, or maybe 5 days and 4 nights on the trail. We are both in pretty good shape, and would allow about 24 hours to acclimate to the elevation before starting out. I don't really want to do more than about 10 miles per day, so total trip mileage should probably be around 40 miles or less.

A few ideas we have are the San Juans or Zirkel Wilderness in Colorado, or the Bob. I know some National Parks have some pretty strict rules on backcountry camping, so we'll probably stick to NF and Wilderness Areas.

What are some other places we should consider?

First off, waiting 24 hours to start won't do you any good. It takes several weeks before any physiological changes kick in as far as your body truly acclimating to the altitude.

You'd be better off hiking the first day, but take it easy. Ease into the trip with your mileage, and make sure you are staying plenty hydrated and eating.

Glacier NP and Yellowstone NP both have some great backpacking, but you are correct in the rules being stricter. You also have to submit an itinerary in advance (at least for GNP) and get your backcountry permit.

A few places you might consider are:

Wind River Mountains (Wyoming, one of our planned trips for 2016)
Beartooth Plateau (Montana/Wyoming)
Badger-Two Medicine/Birch Creek area (Montana)
Ruby Crest Trail (Nevada)

Spanish Peaks Wilderness in MT, and Jedediah Smith Wilderness in Wyoming.

From a fellow Hoosier (now Colorado resident) I will go off the chart here and suggest the AT in North Georgia. I spent 5 years in ATL (5th through 10th grades) and getting into the woods up there with the scouts was one of the only high points. The trail is great, it's closer and you don't have to worry about the altitude. As a bonus there is some great fishing if you scout your route well. Just thought I'd muddy the well a lil bit. :)

Gray Wolf Peak - Mission Mountains Wilderness. As good as Glacier Park but not N.P. and no crowds.

I'm not sure how you'd turn it into 4 days, but I'm sure you could.

My two all time favorite pack trips were, into the Hilgard Basin lakes. Lee Metcalf wilderness, MT (near Quake Lake) If memory serves me right, I think we camped at Blue Danube Lake, anyhow... If we didn't camp there, we visited it.

And up the West Fork of the Sun River up into the Bob.

Both were nice trips. I would highly recommend either. Both had reasonable quantities of gullible fish, plenty of water and lots of scenery.

Things are pretty spread out in The Bob for just four days. The various Lee Metcalfs and Absaroka-Beartooth (or the Wind Rivers) are more manageable if you want to hit a couple cirque lakes on a loop.

You can get camping permits for Yellowstone same day, but the more popular spots are gone in advance.

Great suggestions everyone, keep them coming. That's what makes it hard to decide, so many places to go. On the other hand, I don't think we could make a "bad" choice.

Are you interested in Point to point or loop routes? The Whole Wind river range is an 8 day trip. You can do a 40 mile portion in 4-5 days easy. North half is Grizz Country, South half isn't (yet).

Check out the Continental Divide Trail

Or Even the Pacific Crest trail

Tahoe Rim trail is a loop

It would need to be some form of a loop, since we'll be limited to 1 vehicle. Seems most of these suggestions are in grizzly country, which isn't a deal breaker, but probably something that will go into the decision making process..

I agree with Nameless that the Mission Mtn and Cabinet Mtn Wilderness Areas are nice and often more welcoming to hikers than the Bob. The Bob is great, but is well-used by horses. (Which is OK by me, but sometimes can make trails less pleasant to hike on.) Glacier does have a lot of rules, but it is also spectacular for hiking. Send me a PM if you want to discuss details.

All of the above suggestions have been good ones. My personal favorites are the Spanish Peaks and A-B.

Cloud Peak Wilderness in WY is pretty cool too. I personally liked West side a bit more (a little less traveled than the Buffalo side). Also - no confirmed Griz (since it sounds like you would prefer that).

The absorkee-beartooth wilderness in MT has some great high country lake destinations and phenomenal fishing if that is any part of your consideratinos. The winds in Wyoming have also always treated me very well.

I agree with Nameless that the Mission Mtn and Cabinet Mtn Wilderness Areas are nice and often more welcoming to hikers than the Bob. The Bob is great, but is well-used by horses. (Which is OK by me, but sometimes can make trails less pleasant to hike on.) Glacier does have a lot of rules, but it is also spectacular for hiking. Send me a PM if you want to discuss details.

I camped and hiked the Badger-Two Medicine for about 3 weeks this summer...some of the beariest country I've been to. The trails are heavily used by horses which can make it a bit pot holed and pooped. Otherwise the trail crews and outfitters clear the trail making the hiking was actually quite pleasant. There are still grazing permits in that country too so cows can ruin a campsite it they decide to visit. I so wanted to fish the Two Medicine but never had the energy or time from our field work.

Trail head shuttles are easy to work out along the major trails. Lot of folks segment hike 'em on weekends.

Cloud Peak Wilderness in WY is pretty cool too. I personally liked West side a bit more (a little less traveled than the Buffalo side). Also - no confirmed Griz (since it sounds like you would prefer that).

+1
Our family pack trips and Boy Scout high adventure hike in trips were phenomenal. Some great pan sized brookies in streams and most lakes. Golden trout were supposed to be had in some lakes and we discovered one high lake above tree line that had two pound brookies with salmon colored deliciousness.

Please remember the Cowboy State won't let me go hunting there without a registered guide. :eek:

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back