Suggestions??

gutshotem

So I was supposed to go back out to hunt KS this year for two weeks in nov but my partner had a baby and that plan is now out and ill be going somewhere solo. I've been tossing around the idea of a rifle goat hunt but I know I'm a little behind the eight ball timewise to apply for tags.

Can anyone offer any suggestions for areas/states where tags are still available or will become available? I'd also be up for muleys with a rifle or muzzy if anyone thinks that's a better option.

I'm basically looking to get out on a little adventure before we start workin on a family and I'm stuck at home with babies. All of my hunting up to this point has been for whitetails. I've hunted public land in KS, OH, KY, PA, MD, and IL. I don't have any backcountry experience, and a treestand fall a few years back left me with a broken back so I'm not looking to do any wilderness pack-ins. Camping or cheap hotels are fine with me and I don'tmind putting miles on my boots. Also, I have commitments in sep, so the first 3 wks of the month is out.

Not looking for anyone's honey holes, just wanted to get an idea from you guys if putting something together for this year could still be an option or if I should just make plans to hunt local.

Thanks in advance guys,
Mike

There will be a lot of leftover tags for bucks and does in unit 23 to the southwest of Gillette in Wyoming. The buck tags will go on sale 7/10 and the doe tags on 7/17. If things go as usual you should be able to buy up to 4 doe tags for that unit at $34 a tag. The buck tag is $286. You do need a Conservation Stamp and that goes for $12.50. The unit has enough public land in the northwest and southwest areas to do a hunt if you get out and do some walking. There is also a big walkin area on a private ranch adjoining BLM land up in the northwest area along Beaver Creek that is in the free access program Wyoming runs. The season opens on 10/1, but I would highly recommend you go the second week after the crowds go home. At that time you can also get free access on a lot of the ranches to shoot does. You can get a list of the ranches from the Gillette G&F Office. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info topgun.
The timeframe seems like it will work out nicely for me. I will start looking into the logistics of everything this week.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

A Wyoming pronghorn hunt is a great first western hunt experience. Idaho has over the counter mule and whitetail deer hunts if you want a bigger challenge.

I wouldn't be opposed to Idaho, however I don't want to get in over my head either. All of my out of state hunting has been for whitetails up to this point on relatively flat ground within about 2miles from my truck. When you say "bigger challenge" how big are we talking?

My buddies and I have a saying that when we catch one another even thinking about a piece of cake, a candy bar, or fries we remind each other - "Idaho is steep!"

Stuck at home with babies?..........take them hunting.
I would suggest hiring a guide. If you are solo now, and doing a one time deal, accustomed to tree stand hunting with health issues, might be the best way to get your hunt in ie getting a tag, learning the ropes and bagging game? A DIY hunt out west is going to cost you some $$$.

Stuck at home with babies?..........take them hunting.
I would suggest hiring a guide. If you are solo now, and doing a one time deal, accustomed to tree stand hunting with health issues, might be the best way to get your hunt in ie getting a tag, learning the ropes and bagging game? A DIY hunt out west is going to cost you some $$$.

We just got married last yr and are planning to start a family so I won't be taking them hunting for a few yrs. Not looking for a guided hunt, if I come out and hunt hard for a week in a place I've never been and don't kill anything ill still be happy. Don't have any health issues besides a bum back that would only really be an issue packing camp in or meat out. I packed a quarted whitetail a little over a mile last yr and was sore for a while and don't really want to push things anymore.

10a or 8a in idaho for whitetails might not be bad. Not super steep, quite a bit of 4 wheeler access but you can also get out and hike. Montana still has a lot of deer combo tags.

Idaho isn't that bad if you do some looking on topos and forest service maps, good place too hunt, pick the tall/big mountains that way you hunt up and pack down hill, also E. Montana allocates a doe tag for every non-resident that wants one, got the private land deal, but a decent amount of block management, shouldn't take more than a couple days... Good luck, feel free too PM me if you have any questions
Matt

Thanks for the response track1 and Matt. I'm leaning toward the wyoming antelope hunt to kinda get my feet wet out west. Idaho sounds like it would be great but I think I'd like to have a partner along and more time to prepare. Don't really want to drive all the way out there for whitetail but mule deer is definitely something I want to try. I plan on looking into Montana a little more later tonight.

I swear, some of these state websites are like trying to read hieroglyphics to me. Do any of you guys subscribe to Eastmans or Huntin Fool?

I recommend a cow elk hunt in NM. A land owner voucher and the tag will run you about $850. High success, not to difficult, and a bunch of premium table fair. PM me if you want specifics.

Actually, I see some cow elk tags are leftover in unit 23 in wyoming. Anyone know what the chances are of me bumping into one if I head there for goats?

You're right about the different states websites. Everybody seems to have a better idea...
In Wyoming pronghorn unit 23 is different from elk 23.

If you've never hunted Pronghorn, you are missing out on a very fun hunt. I have been on several of them and always have a great time and have never come home empty handed.

IMO, they are very tasty. Be sure you get your pictures taken as fast as you can. Get him skinned out quickly and to the processor. Pronghorn have hollow hair and it slips very easy in warm weather.

You'll see lots of them and can "sift" through the bucks to try and find one that you like. Regardless of what you decide to hunt, have fun and be safe.

Good luck to you!

If you go on a pronghorn hunt, you do not have to worry about not killing anything. If you don't kill one, it is your own choosing, as the opportunity will be there. You will really enjoy the hunt without having to kill yourself in the process. Just make sure that you butcher right away and get them on ice. They are great eating. If you are not into trophies, then buy four doe permits and have a blast. Add a buck for a few hundred more and it is both a trophy and a meat hunt.

If you've never hunted Pronghorn, you are missing out on a very fun hunt. I have been on several of them and always have a great time and have never come home empty handed.

IMO, they are very tasty. Be sure you get your pictures taken as fast as you can. Get him skinned out quickly and to the processor. Pronghorn have hollow hair and it slips very easy in warm weather.

You'll see lots of them and can "sift" through the bucks to try and find one that you like. Regardless of what you decide to hunt, have fun and be safe.

Good luck to you!

Thanks for the info sir, I appreciate all of the advice and suggestions from everyone.

I wouldn't be opposed to Idaho, however I don't want to get in over my head either. All of my out of state hunting has been for whitetails up to this point on relatively flat ground within about 2miles from my truck. When you say "bigger challenge" how big are we talking?

Let me put it this way...punching your tag on your first WY pronghorn trip is very doable. Punching your tag on an Idaho muley is doable, but you will work harder to find game. If you are unsuccessful punching your tag in Idaho you will leave and have seen some country I doubt you will ever forget.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back