Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Suggestions on Wyoming Elk areas?

MaxPower

Hi All,

I'm already a Wyoming resident, so my MO is apply for the best tag I can then hunt general areas when I inevitably don't draw.....

But I've got a buddy who's a non-resident and has 4 points. He asked me where he should apply, and I have no idea. I know he can't draw any kind of good area with real trophy potential, so as long as there's public land and elk he should be happy.

Any ideas? A quick look at toprut showed he may be relegated to the Wind Rivers, maybe some of the Bighorn units if he's lucky.

Thoughts?

Two suggestions: first, WGFD staff is typically incredibly helpful and the posted success charts can be invaluable (even if they don't speak to the question of "trophy". Usually best to talk with the regional offices.

Second, I completely agree with previous suggestions about your non-resident buddy putting in for GEN tag - but if he's unsuccessful, don't forget about the leftover / second chance tags; and, again, the WGFD staff is great about suggestions on these.

Thanks all. I double checked non-resident draw odds and there are only a handful of areas he could even draw with 4 points - and none of them seem like great areas. The only possibilities for a good hunt look like units 98 and 47, and those are probably pretty challenging just to find elk in.
I'll tell him to put in for a GEN tag and we'll hunt together.
Thanks again!

Thanks all. I double checked non-resident draw odds and there are only a handful of areas he could even draw with 4 points - and none of them seem like great areas. The only possibilities for a good hunt look like units 98 and 47, and those are probably pretty challenging just to find elk in.
I'll tell him to put in for a GEN tag and we'll hunt together.
Thanks again!
And with you already being a resident, if you get the permit, you can take him into the wilderness areas.

I drew a tag in Wyoming Unit 45 after 14 years of applying… I have an ace in the hole as my closest hunting buddy has a small ranch very near our Unit.

We are looking for a wall tent camp (for 2-4 hunters) to rent - any ideas or connections? Or know someone that would? We can either pick it up in Denver or Cody. Our hunt will be from 10/12-10/23 this year. Thanks in advance for for your help!!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back