PEAX Equipment

suggestions for altitude training

Jogging and wind sprints. Cardio is the most important thing when getting ready for high altitude; there is no substitute for it.

Are there meds for altitude? I don't doubt it, but I guess I've never heard of it. I have heat of guys taking iron supplements in the couple of weeks leading up to the hunt, increases the amount of red blood cells, theoretically. I can't say I ever tried that.

I live at 300 ft above sea level in Pa and hunt out west starting at trail head about 7600 ft to about 9500 or so when in hunting area I do wind sprints, squats lower weight higher reps hike with pack on weighed rows with my legs and for the most part have done well on my hunts Im 56 soon to be 57 I dont think you can train enough or to hard in preparing for a trip
I also dont think you should kill yourself first day or 2

Running and general workouts for strength, balance, and endurance.

For altitude training do anaerobic intervals. I prefer battle rope because it's fun and hill sprints because it's convenient.

A few years ago I went from 700 ft to 12,300. I was able to hang with my buddy who lives at 7500 as we lost and gained 3000 ft on 50 degree slopes chasing elk. The intervals and anaerobic stuff made a huge difference for me vs. previous trips.

As others have said, hydrate often and stay away from the alcohol. The hydration levels can make the difference between a slight headache and a hospital visit. Also bring some type of high quality (not Gatorade) hydration booster or recovery mix (lots of good ones these days) for a water bottle or two a day, for me that’s about 25% of the water I drink, and I’m not a flat lander. Your body cannot absorb straight water as well as it can with the salts and minerals in the mixes. I don’t know the science behind it but it works.

The biggest thing I learned from my western hunt at up to 11,000 feet was that I didn't pack enough water. I live on the East coast, probably no more than 4 feet above sea level, the Atlantic Ocean is literally down the road from me, (500 yards). I did a lot of cardio and leg training and weighted pack day hikes, felt my 3 liter water bladder would be sufficient, because I had plenty of water left over by the end of the day...yeah not the case. That 3 liter Hydration bladder didn't last 3 hours that first day on the mountain. I learned my lesson. As a flat lander, I will always carry extra water with me when out west. Good luck to you!

I really don't think it's something you can train for. Be healthy, show up in shape, show up early if you can, and pace yourself. I think alot of guys get into trouble when they try to climb 2k feet at 9k+ without sleeping here a night or two.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back