Subzero cold and archery equipment?

Paul in Idaho

I am planning to go on a December archery deer hunt in an area I have been told can see temperatures around -25 degrees during the season. Are there any concerns about using a modern compound bow in extreme cold like this?

I asked the same of a few guys I knew who did a February musk ox hunt. They said they experienced no issues with their bows in -10 to -30 temps.

I have seen problems where water has gotten on things and then froze. Once in freezing rain all of my knocks had ice in them. I never got a shot but id have bet my arrow was a lot heavier than normal from the ice buildup. I've had a fall away and wisker bisket freeze. Try to continually check your bow as you hunt.

Good advice above! I too have bowhunted in 0 degree weather, but -25, wow, that's nutz! My gear performed OK, but the multiple layers were kinda ridiculous. The best assets were 2 facemasks, and 2 stocking hats and a heavy neckwarmer. Keep your melon warm and the rest will last longer. The disposable hand and toe warmers are priceless! For this crazy of weather you maybe should look into the heated insoles or socks. ?? My buddy swears by the Heater Body Suit.

This is the only issue I've had in the cold. Went to draw back and my arm muscles didn't want to work.

Yep, learned that from experience! During the late Iowa bowseason, the colder the weather, the hotter the action! I had a real nice 10 pointer in front of me and could not get the bow back.

A couple more thoughts. White Bunny Boots from an Army Surplus store, they are rated to -65 and hunt over the best food source you can find. Deer have to eat almost nonstop when it is that cold.

I hunt in sub zero most years. More problems with body and clothing in that cold. You have to worry about bulk on your arms with string travel.

Other advice I would give is leave your bow in the cold once you start hunting. If you bring it in to warm environment and take back outside it will develop condensation and your bow will have creaks/noises.

No problems with equipment. This is why I have a shorter draw and dont max my bow. I have no problem pulling back even with heavier clothing on. I too hunt MN and WI and have hunted in -20 several times. I actually dont mind the colder temps, the deer like to move! By the way, it may seem cheating but a pop up blind with a Mr Heater in it works. The deer could care less. I shot on last year in WI at 15 yards with heater going full power in WI. I think the temp was like 6 degrees and I was wearing a black hoodie with no gloves. It was just like ice fishing with a view! Some days Im in the stand, other days on the ground or in a blind. On the ground in pure white is deadly if there is snow on the ground. They just cant seem to pick you out at all.

Thanks for the replies. I'll worry less about my bow, and focus on finding warm clothes that won't get in the way of the string.

In a winter season several years ago, with my old bow and aluminum arrows, I had a nock shatter when I released the arrow. It was very loud, and I'm surprised the bow wasn't damaged by the near dry-fire shock. I have been a little nervous about archery in freezing temperatures since then.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back