Stupidest Mistake Hunting

2012 I was pheasant hunting one day on a destination hunt and it was a bust. We did come across a flock of about 30 turkeys though. I thought, “Some day I will come back here and hunt these turkeys late November.” Well, I kept putting it off, never made it happen. 2018 I finally did all the preparations, was hiking out to where I wanted to be when the sun rose. A question crossed my mind - when did I ever cross Hwy __ on the way here? This was the unit boundary. The more I thought about it, I realized that road was 8 miles N, and no, I never did cross it. I had bought not one, but two of the wrong damn LQ tags. Next 2 hours I am looking over maps, trying to E-scout a new place to hunt. The alternative was drive 2.5 hours further from home to a place I knew held birds 6 years ago, but that was old data by then. I ended up trying an entirely new area and did get a bird, so in the end it worked out.

Not the stupidest, but the most recent. Yesterday I had knee pads and gloves for prickly pears to stalk antelope. What I did not factor was I needed to drop over the first of 2 steep rises to get set up for a shot, but I couldn’t be skylined. This meant scooting down on my behind. I had just changed OUT of my jeans into Sitka mountain pants 10 mins previous, which resulted in a whole lot of cactus spines where I can’t get to them with a tweezers, and the foam sleeping pad in my tent seems to just poke them further into my skin. Well, I got my antelope so no complaints 😆

way too many dumb moves to count for me, one that still hurts a bit was when I was probably 16-17, I had both a OTC elk tag and a draw deer tag for archery season... For the first 3 days of season I watched a probably 220" typical buck bed in the exact same spot, totally stalkable, and left him there to chase raghorn bulls that weren't rutting yet... then to compound the mistake I decided that the elk hunting would be better elsewhere and left with the intention of coming back later in the season for the deer... which I never did, although I eventually did shoot a tiny raghorn... looking back with the benefits of 20/20 hindsight we were finding way too many big deer at that time and had no idea that giant muley bucks are really few and far between, its been 20 years and I haven't even seen a better buck...

Not remembering TP. That only has happened once.. 1993.. first ever time hunting as a 19 year old after eating a couple bowl of 5 bean chili the night before. Ever since then it is the first thing I pack or double check to make sure it is in there. I sure do miss that glove I had to use :).

Locking my keys in my 1996 Dakota 7 miles deep into the mountains above Edwards CO back in 2000. Made the decision to break the rear sliding window with a screw driver and duct tape it shut for the drive home to Ohio.. Luckily the window popped open on the first heavy push with the screwdriver...

Not remembering TP. That only has happened once.. 1993.. first ever time hunting as a 19 year old after eating a couple bowl of 5 bean chili the night before. Ever since then it is the first thing I pack or double check to make sure it is in there. I sure do miss that glove I had to use :).

Locking my keys in my 1996 Dakota 7 miles deep into the mountains above Edwards CO back in 2000. Made the decision to break the rear sliding window with a screw driver and duct tape it shut for the drive home to Ohio.. Luckily the window popped open on the first heavy push with the screwdriver...
Good thing you had gloves. I was not so lucky a couple of times ... including last year. But I did find remnants of an early storm snowdrift in a gulley and made that work. Gotta brace yourself for that first swipe. Say hello to Mr. Piles.

Not even close to my stupidest mistake but we'll go with my most recent. :ROFLMAO:

I got into elk the other day, spotted the heard when I was sneaking thru the timber. They were about 125 yards above me. I watched the cows for a few minutes trying to locate the herd bull. Finally I spotted him, he looked like a big 6x6 but I didn't get a great look at him. They were across a clearing from me and I didn't think he'd leave his cows but I tried bugling anyway, raked a tree etc... No luck. They kept feeding away from me so I finally made the decision to try to cut them off from where they were headed. I snuck around about 300 yards into a clearing and waited. After a few minutes I heard elk moving at a good trot thru the thick timber and I assume they winded me. I followed and only found a couple sets of tracks, which I thought was odd because I couldn't see where the rest of the elk went. I came to the conclusion that there must have still been elk back in the area I'd just left. So I snuck all the way back until I had the wind in my face and started sneaking up the ridge, cow calling occasionally. Sure enough, a medium sized bull stands up, head behind a tree. I range him quickly (since his head is behind a tree), 59 yards. I draw my bow, settle the 60 yard pin on him and I see a small branch in front of his heart. I remember thinking it had to be within inches of his body and didn't think it would affect my shot, aim a few inches above it and I release. The shot looked perfect, I heard a thud. They bull turns uphill and goes 30 yards or so over and out of sight. I'm so jacked, words cannot describe the experience. Thought I just killed my first archery bull. I wait about 10 minutes and sneak up to look for my arrow. I find my arrow, broken just below the fletching, both pieces, no blood. I'm like, no way. Then I remember the small branch that I thought was right next to his body. I turn and immediately I see the little branch... Sure enough, it was closer to 7 yards in front of where he stood up from his bed. It deflected the arrow directly under him into the dirt and snapped it in two. I was pretty heartbroken. But at the end of the day, I'm thankful it was a clean miss rather than a wounding hit from my poor judgement...

I got one, Yesterday morning i'm muzzleloading for elk. I'm sitting on my favorite meadow area. At 10am I hear a bugle up behind me. not very impressive because i initially thought was another hunter. I then hear elk walking through the huck. brush. 70 yds to my right cows start feeding into the meadow edge and start working away from me. I have great wind and now know there is a bull in the group, but he wont step out. After 30 mins of watching cows which some are bedded now about 160yds away, he finally steps out at 120yds. A ok 6 point size but great bull for over the counter WA unit. I will also mention this is my first year using a muzzleloader. I take the safety off and pull back the hammer. I start getting the open sights settled when he steps behind a small fir tree. I am waiting for him to step out and as he starts to I put my finger on the trigger...booom as smoke fills the branches of the tree im sitting under. Unfortunately I must have had a little too much adrenaline and touched the trigger a little too hard. Thankfully I wasn't on him yet and it was a clean miss. With a bull in the freezer this year already i had limited my hunt to the weekend and yesterday morning. I stuck with it and drove home feeling pretty ashamed of such an elementary mistake.

Takeaways, just because you have a gun doesn't mean you cant stalk in. I had the wind and all the time in the world. I could have easily made this a 60-80 yd shot or closer. once I pulled the hammer back I should have placed the gun back on safe until i had a clear shot.

I think the dumbest mistake I've ever made was assuming that a 8 mile path back to camp would be easier than the 5 miles we walked, assuming that the missing 3 miles was as easy as the first 5 miles we scouted. Those last 3 miles turned a 4-5 hour hike into a miserable 24 hour sidehilling, bush swimming, river crossing experience along with unplanned accomodations in a cottonwood patch. It all could have been avoided by manning up and busting brush, and slipping on rocks and going the way we'd come. One of those trips where you think the alternative couldn't be any worse... A boone and crockett (or very close to it) caribou rack stayed on the mountain that trip. haha

My dad went on a backpacking trip with a buddy and forgot his TP. The buddy (who was a dentist) said "Aw geez, I only have enough for me, sorry!", and then the buddy (remember, he's a dentist) discovered that HE had forgotten his toothpaste. My dad said "Aw geez, I only have enough for me, sorry, unless you feel like giving up some of your TP!" They eventually worked out an equitable trade... :LOL:

Well guys thanks for everyone that chimed
In gave me some humor knowing I’m not the only one to make a dumb mistake. Turned out to be A great hunt had some great experiences on the hunt and even though I didn’t get one of the bucks I wanted I had a blast and seen some big deer and probably The biggest elk I will ever see on the hoof.

If I can see...I can shoot. I typically can't see well enough to shoot at legal shooting light. It's still pretty damn dark!

Most of my time is spent bird hunting, and every time I fail to recover the bird I second guess myself. Usually a clean shot, but in a bad location and I should know better. Happens two or three times a year, and I remember every one.

I'm not sure if it's a mistake or not. But, my first SD hunt. I was hunting an area my buddy knew pretty well. We'd talked on the phone a bunch prior to the hunt. He suggested I not shoot a deer at all on the first day unless I saw a "no brainer." Well at first light a pile of does were milling around me about 60 yards out. From about 350 yards away I saw a deer pop out. It was too far away in the light to see what it had for horns... but you could tell it was a buck by the way it walked. He marched in like he owned the place.

I put my rifle on him and could see he was nice and heavy, pretty tall, and a 5x4 with decent brows. Probably 130" buck. It was the first 30 minutes of my hunt. I put my rifle down and watched him harass the does until he marched on the next group.

I shot a buck a few days later about 200 yards from that spot. He was smaller in every way. I think about that buck at least 7 days a week. 😁

Most of my time is spent bird hunting, and every time I fail to recover the bird I second guess myself. Usually a clean shot, but in a bad location and I should know better. Happens two or three times a year, and I remember every one.

I've done that twice now. But...on one, I saw it on my way back down the trail. I'm not sure how but I did. So, if I can't find them from now on, I go past where I think it landed and and look back towards where I shot from. It's worked a few times.

I've done that twice now. But...on one, I saw it on my way back down the trail. I'm not sure how but I did. So, if I can't find them from now on, I go past where I think it landed and and look back towards where I shot from. It's worked a few times.
I always give it at least an hour of searching before calling it. We usually have one guy stop and direct the other. Put a hat or something down where we think it landed, and search outward from there. Between pheasants running and ducks diving, sometimes it is next to impossible. We found a rooster almost 80 yards from where it went down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back