Stuff my Hunting dog ATE.

My lab has eaten the ass out of several training birds that were destined for the dumpster.

When we moved to Washington she became quite fond of the pine sticks in the backyard and ate enough to give herself a blockage. $800 to dig mulch out of a dogs rear end was not the welcome gift we were wanting.

Had some GSPs that ate everything. Siding off the house, plywood, license plate off my trailer, ate their way out of the 2x4 doghouse i built. They were very destructive so they never got to see the inside of the house. My current mutt ate the trim off the kitchen island, ate a hole down through the center of some goose down couches, all her blankets and beds and toys don't last more than a day or two. She has recently started snatching food off the counters so we have to keep everything in the center. My best dog ever ate a rotten maggoty ridden rabbit. choked down head and all. It was a little dog so i had grabbed her and was shaking her upside down to get it out of her mouth as i didn't want to touch it but with each up and down motion it just went further down her mouth (er up in her mouth) rather than dropping to the ground. Loved that little rat dog.

Our lab wolfed down a dozen cupcakes fresh out of the oven. They still had the silicone cupcake mold on them. She couldn't pass the silicone cups, they were lodged in her small intestine stacked neatly inside each other, she was completely blocked and in bad shape after two weeks.

It was then that I learned how to negotiate with the veterinarian on the cost of surgery. What started as a $1200 surgery, was cut down to $600 by simply saying "I can't afford that, just put her down."
I'll have to remember that at the vet.

My labs have eaten the usual stuff. Ice fishing when she was younger, my black lab would spend the whole time on the lake scavenging for dead minnows and fish on the lake. Once she dug up a jumbo perch that someone left on the ice, pretty rotten but there were some drunk guys out there who were really impressed. The worst my chocolate lab ate was a euro mount of a buck, luckily it was just a deadhead I found and mounted and it wasn't totally destroyed.

The most impressive, however, was my grandpa's beagle. She ate roofing shingles off her dog house. Didn't even faze her

Last edited:
Took my young lab fishing one day. He seemed to be behaving pretty well as I fished. One time I looked back at him and he had a big ball of mono hanging out of his mouth. I slowly pulled on the mono, got a couple of feet to come out, when it stopped coming. Gave it a little tug and it was firmly caught. I figured what the hell and put some pressure on it and it broke off. At that point I thought that he had a hook logged somewhere between his stomach and throat. I decided to let it go and see if he stopped eating or showed other signs of distress - nothing. My son had a lab that ate the canvas cover off a Kong octopus. Stoppered him up, but good. $1500 later...….doc retrieved the canvas.

Oh I forgot about the 50 foot extension cord he chewed up when he first arrived at my home as a year old dog. Luckily he chewed through it near the end. So I just put on a new end and it is now a 49 ft extension cord. I suppose i'm also lucky it wasn't plugged in.

One time my springer got into a 100 bag of brown Power Worms. Wife called me at work and said the dog had a terrible case of worms. Ran home and she had 7" plastic worms hanging out of her butt.

I'm no vet so take this info with that in mind. Our friend who is a vet got called one night by my wife while I was out of town about one of our dogs that just swallowed a whole pair of her drawers. Dr. Moore laughed at her and told her to fill a syringe with peroxide and take the dog outside. Shove syringe down dogs mouth and squirt peroxide down the dogs throat then stand clear. What ever the dog just ate is on it's way back out pretty quick.

Long story short is wife got her drawers back.

Three daughters have lots of dolls with lots of accessories. You know miniature sun glasses, high heels, clothes, pocket books... not too many years ago, a walk through my backyard looked like a tour through Barbie Zombie Land.

...or the Hanky Family grave yard

One year My female lab was in heat. I locked my male lab in basement cage while at work.
I came home and found he chewed 1 of my brand new Meindel hunting boots to pieces.

My five year-old Lab had a thing for seatbelts. I replaced them FOUR TIMES in my Jimmy. Finally modified the barrier so she couldn't get at them. She didn't eat them, just tore them up. Tug of war I guess. I can leave a steak dinner on the couch while suddenly answering the phone or nature call and have no worries that it will still be there when I come back. But both Ellie and my Fr Brit will still be there staring at it. Leave anything on the counter and drive away in the Jimmy and it will probably be gone when I get back. They both act guilty. Had to laugh last week. A pot of tomato soup boiled over on the stove. I didn't get around to cleaning it up right away and left to babysit my granddaughter for a few hours. Returned to find the stove cleaned up slick. Pretty sure Ellie was the culprit. I gave her hell because I had to but she made the task easier.

Both dogs have a bad habit of eating their poop, especially during winter when it's frozen. Hmmm. Note to self: clean that stove with bleach!

My Black and Tan has ate a part of my Stetson hat, at hindquarter of a deer, didn’t eat but chewed her tail off, chicken feed, horse hood trimmings, chocolate cake. I’m sure I’m forgetting things

My buddies lab ate his wife's passport!
My Fr Britt also half consumed my daughter's Canadian passport. I suspect passports are now discreetly scented so airport dogs can detect them. Someone with more than one passport is often up to no good (but not always). Our Canadian paper money (which is now actually plastic) is noticeably scented, again so customs dogs can smell it out. Foreigners coming into Canada must declare how much cash they are bringing with them and limited to $10K. It's to control money laundering especially drug money.

Be aware that book binding glue is usually animal based and dogs love it. Don't leave your favorite read laying where the dog can get at it, especially a pup. A few of mine have become scattered piles of paper.

Last edited:
Back