Stuff my Hunting dog ATE.

Man I'm lucky, Boomer chewed the brim of my lucky hunting hat at a couple months old. He's never chewed anything other than that. I can even leave my dinner on the ground and walk away and come back to him drooling and staring at it haha!

Edit: He will try and steal quarters or whole meat while I'm trying to butcher. Picture of my wife butchering, look at him ha!

FB_IMG_1595442167561.jpg

Well our dogs aren't labs but the male will eat most anything that doesn't eat him first.
He's eaten...
3 crate pads
2 crate blankets
his outdoor bed
wood chips
rocks
about 2 feet of kiddie pool edge
several wolf spiders
a dead rabbit he found-made him quite sick:sick:
and he still eats his own poop regularly :confused: yeah we tried several vet recommended remedies

Someday he's gonna eat something that doesn't pass through.

My little sister was in college and “rescued” a stray. She was a design major and had a project about half finished in the living room. Damn dog ate a box of crayons, pencils and markers then tye-dye crapped all over the carpet! I’m not sure we ever got it all out. Same dog also ate a roll of aluminum foil and had an attraction to women’s undergarments. Somehow we still have her, about 14 now and still as smart as a rock.

Wow. I must be lucky. I have had 2 goldens and now a lab. The goldens chewed a bit but nothing major. My 5 year old lab doesn't chew or eat on anything. I have always exercised them a lot. At least 5 miles a day.
Same, I try to run drills with our lab at least 4 to 5 days a week. Nothing eaten so far. Now that I said that I should be expecting a vet bill. Edit after reading post above I remembered now she ate my favorite scheels hat.😡

20200423_173321.jpg

Only 8 months old, and he hasn't eaten anything significant so far. Don't let him out of our sight though
That’s classic - all those dog toys laying there and he’s chewing up someone’s pants! :ROFLMAO:

I also had a 12 week old lab pup swallow a whole hickory nut once. He was vomiting for a few days, then stopped eating altogether. Had no idea what was wrong with him, so off to the vet. Vet couldn’t figure it our either so referred us to the Vet School and NC State. They did an x-ray which clearly showed an “object” lodged between his large and small intestines. Given that it had been lodged there for nearly a week, they said the only options were surgery ($1,000 minimum) or put him down. We’d only had him a month and didn’t really have $1,000 to spend on a dog that was supposed to be “free”, so I told my wife “it’s good that we haven’t gotten too attached to him yet”. To which she began crying. Long story short, that dog lived to be 13, and I kept that hickory nut as a souvenir!
I had a similar situation with a 10 year old horse I'd just bought a week or two before. It was an enterolith. Cost me around $3.8k which the vet school "financed" at some exorbitant rate. He died about 5 years later from Pigeon Fever that went internal.

Well our dogs aren't labs but the male will eat most anything that doesn't eat him first.
He's eaten...
3 crate pads
2 crate blankets
his outdoor bed
wood chips
rocks
about 2 feet of kiddie pool edge
several wolf spiders
a dead rabbit he found-made him quite sick:sick:
and he still eats his own poop regularly :confused: yeah we tried several vet recommended remedies

Someday he's gonna eat something that doesn't pass through.
Dude let him eat the poop, its just that much less you have to pick up.

Both my dogs like eating crap. The shepherd will eat dog crap in the yard at times. Idk why.
Little cur dog will help herself to goose crap if they’re been standing close to the gate. Both will eat chicken crap at the first given chance.

I now have a chicken tractor in the back which I move once a day. A lot of poop is concentrated in that day period. One day the gate to the back was left open. Idk how long they were there but when I stepped outside both were face deep in poo buffet.... Worse part is a couple hours later the cur dog threw up in the house. I had to put my respirator on to clean that up.

I had a beautiful sailfish from MX. It was a over 10’. It was on the wall for months and my pointing lane ignored it. Can home one day and he had crewed out the middle. He had to stand on his hind legs to reach it and ate as high as her could reach.

He ate Murillo pairs of my wife’s underwear, trays of fresh cookies, Swedish fish, multiple
Mounted turkey tails and made a valiant attempt at the T-Day turkey.

Great pointing lab and crazy good upland bird hunting dog. He was just too smart and would plan out his attacks...

I miss him

So many of these stories are great justification for keeping the dogs in kennel runs when they are out of our sight. But I know how it goes. it is nice to have the dog hanging out with you...you go in the house to grab a drink (...just a sec really...) and come back to the aftermath...:oops:

Well not an eating story, but I think it is applicable as we have touched on the poop theme.

Christmas time. Wife's family is over. My wife's sister and brother in law have a black lab that is about 9 months old. He is at home in a crate while we eat dinner and open presents at my house. After about 3-4 hours my bro in law decides to go let him out to go to the bathroom. We have a lab that is 12 months old so we told him to bring Drake over to play with our dog.

Drake comes over and tears around the house a little and my wife goes downstairs to show her sister our basement which we just finished. All of a sudden, I hear this shrieking coming from downstairs, then groans, and then laughing. Well good ol' Drake had to take a dump. He spun a circle in front of my wife and sister in law and started squatting which elicited the shrieking. Then my sister in law cupped her hands and CAUGHT ALL OF THE POOP BEFORE IT HIT THE NEW CARPET! That was the groans we heard. Then the laughter as she ran to the toilet with her hands full!

I'm realizing how lucky I've been with my lab. Other than tearing the side window screen out of my truck topper (which I think he did out of spite), he hasn't chewed on anything he wasn't supposed to.

Mine was pretty good till a both a month ago when somehow he knocked the window Frame out of an interior door and chewed the crap out of the door

Then beside the eating there is the "rolling"...my dogs have an affinity for. The two favorites are cow crap and dead salmon carcasses. Nothing like driving home from a day of duck hunting on the river with a dog that smells like a rotten can of Starkist🤮

To be fair, ours finished her eating stuff phase by the time she was a year or so old. Once we taught her she can’t have things unless we give them to her, she has rarely messed up since (she’ll be 8 in a few months). She even stays in the garage at my SIL house during Thanksgiving with a smorgasbord of leftovers on top of the chest freezer, and has never touched a thing.

So now I should come home to find her cuddled up with what’s left of my Kennetreks I suppose....

I had a GSP that ate a couch and large bass lure. The hooks kept him from swallowing it down too deep. That was a hefty vet bill. Then I had another GSP that loved balloons. He would pop them first then eat them. The bright colors made cleaning up the yard a little easier. The best was when he would eat rubber gloves though. There would be poop hands out in the yard. My daughter had a dog eat a large bottle of gorilla glue. You know how that stuff expands when it gets wet. That won't pass. Fortunately she worked for a vet and got a discount.

I had a Golden that ate a pair of elbow length heavy rubber gloves I used gutting a deer one time, vet said they should pass. Well the passing had to be assisted by dad.... I still can't believe how long that string of rubber was that I pulled out of his rear end.... I should have gave it a swift jerk!

Current Golden is great, doesn't chew up a thing ..... well unless temps dip into the 20s, he then loves the frozen nuggets he deposits in the yard. Recycling at its best!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back