Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Stuff my Hunting dog ATE.

Yikes, I guess I should consider myself lucky after reading some of these stories. The only strange thing my lab ever ate was a couple of paper towels soaked in bacon grease. She does occasionally roll around in deer poop and other stinky stuff, but I'd bathe her 100 times over before adding another vet bill.

I'm comingto find out that Labs have a proclivity to chew and swallow some strange stuff. It has been 3 years since ML has brought Bogey home as a puppy and his list is impressive.

Women's underwear (multiple times)
a Kong dog curry
A bag full of dove feathers

A friend had a lab who ate an entire bike helmet.

Anyone else had a garbage gut dog?
English setter chewed all the buttons off of a brand new camcorder. Same dog ate a complete box of Duncan Hines brownie mix. Chocolate poisonous my ass.

My wife picked up this pound puppy that I named dingo because that is what he look like. He ate the normal stuff, couch, stairs, drywall, carpet and any kind of food that was left out. He ate a watermelon once and to this day he loves cucumber. He once ate a whole chicken that he knocked off the counter. It was on a glass plate and he even licked all the grease up among the glass shards. I was impressed he kinda cleaned up his mess.
He used to have a taste for tobacco. If he found a can I left on the counter, gone. One time he licked through my pant pocket until the cardboard on the can soften so he could get his dip. Also enjoyed copper sulfate on my clothes that I would occasionally bring home from work.

My now almost 2 year old female lab Brook has the following under her belt.

2 sets of Yeti 65 T handles
2 Yeti colster lids
Every stuffed dog toy purchased
Air conditioner remote
DVD player remote
A dozen or so dvd cases and dvds
2 Playstation 3 controllers
3 dog beds
The rear truck topper brake light wiring while in my pickup.
Several small frogs
Gshock rubber watch wristband
Enough sticks to shake a stick at
Any aluminum cans left around
Carpet
The ottoman

Attachments

• Colter phone 006.jpg
    Colter phone 006.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 33
  • Colter phone 025.jpg
    Colter phone 025.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 34
2 four inch razor blades. That was a 1700 dollar trip to emergency surgery.

This thread makes our 1.5 yr old springer spaniel sound well behaved. Not that he hasn't chewed up a few hats, gloves, sandals, etc.

My now almost 2 year old female lab Brook has the following under her belt.

2 sets of Yeti 65 T handles
2 Yeti colster lids
Every stuffed dog toy purchased
Air conditioner remote
DVD player remote
A dozen or so dvd cases and dvds
2 Playstation 3 controllers
3 dog beds
The rear truck topper brake light wiring while in my pickup.
Several small frogs
Gshock rubber watch wristband
Enough sticks to shake a stick at
Any aluminum cans left around
Carpet
The ottoman
Now you are just bragging!!

Worst for me was when I went on my first coon hunt with my lion and bear hounds. One ate most of a skunk, the other one grabbed a porcupine in his mouth and started shaking his head like a hooked tarpon trying to kill it.

I have not coon hunted since.

My lab ate most of a raw chicken tonight. I had de-spined it and put it on the counter. Had to send an email and come out and the dog had gone to town.

Our lab wolfed down a dozen cupcakes fresh out of the oven. They still had the silicone cupcake mold on them. She couldn't pass the silicone cups, they were lodged in her small intestine stacked neatly inside each other, she was completely blocked and in bad shape after two weeks.

It was then that I learned how to negotiate with the veterinarian on the cost of surgery. What started as a $1200 surgery, was cut down to $600 by simply saying "I can't afford that, just put her down."

Our lab wolfed down a dozen cupcakes fresh out of the oven. They still had the silicone cupcake mold on them. She couldn't pass the silicone cups, they were lodged in her small intestine stacked neatly inside each other, she was completely blocked and in bad shape after two weeks.

It was then that I learned how to negotiate with the veterinarian on the cost of surgery. What started as a $1200 surgery, was cut down to $600 by simply saying "I can't afford that, just put her down."

Nice, the commodity trader in you came out lol...wish I would have know that little trick for my Ex's C-section....:censored:

My Queensland heeler has expensive taste, she ate the padding from multiple bras, swallows underwear whole two different times and threw them back up, my wife was not happy. Got into a bowl of little Ghirardelli chocolate squares and ate it all, wrappers included. Cat poop is a weekly occurrence.

The scary one was my border collie. I had put one of those big green poison blocks for rats in the garage, a few minutes later I walked in and saw him swallowing the last bit of it. After a quick search online and reading the main ingredient could cause internal bleeding I had to get it out of him fast. I remember watching an episode of the vet show Dr. Pole and the lady vet gave a dog hydrogen peroxide, it makes them puke their guts out to get whatever is in there out. He wouldn't drink it so I put a splash of chicken broth in a bowl with it and he drank the whole thing. Not a minute later out it came green and all. May come in handy for someone if they know their dog got into some poison.

Last edited:
My black Lab Male was locked in kennel cage one day while I was at work. Came home to find he broke kennel door and got out in basement. Chewed complete back part of one of my then new Meindel boots to shreds... I guess he taught me a lesson

Unbeknownst to me on the very first trip bird hunting with my GSP she ate a couple gallons on horseshit then threw it all up on my lap and between the seats of the truck on our way home. I feel pretty lucky that's been it.

You didn't want to go through the hassle of raising them anyway, when the grocery store has them all ready to cook waiting for you! Sounds like a stronger pen is required...
Haha, yeah I bet the store turks taste better anyway. Mmmmm butterball... The crazy part is that each time, the turkeys flew out of the coup and into the yard, right into the jaws of death. Figured the third bird would have been smarter after watching his buddies being killed, but nope.

Well let’s see my Lab is 3 and has chewed up multiple dog beds, any sock that is left unattended I swear I’ve gone through more socks in the last 3 years than the previous 10! A couple pairs of shoes when he was a puppy, the electrical cord for my electric
Smoker.. etc etc etc etc

But the funniest was he ate all my daughters sidewalk chalk the bigger about 1” diameter ones. Well some of those were glitter chalk... he was shi**ng pink glitter for 2 days

One lab, Jazz, ate a good portion of the vinyl siding on the back of dad's house.

One of the others, Abby, would immediately eat the gut pile of any deer we would bring back to the house. She would also drag any deer carcasses she found within a couple miles back to the house and eat those. Seemed to prefer the ones about a week or two post-mortem.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back