Student Loan Rifle

I married my wife six years ago and her wedding present to me was a SIGNIFICANT student loan balance - think med school but without a doctor’s salary. I love her, so we’ve busted our butts since then to pay them off and one of the ways I’ve kept from feeling resentful is the idea of buying a heirloom quality gun at the end of it.

We’re about three to five months out from the final payment, depending on bonuses, so it’s time to start researching.

I live in SW Michigan and I use a straight wall rifle for the majority of my hunting but with these loans gone I can start thinking about trips up north or out of state. Besides my 450 Bushmaster and AR I don’t own a center fire rifle.

I’m pretty much set on a .280 AI (I reload) and I’d like a wood stocked rifle. Eventually I’d like to be able to give this to my daughter and tell her the story behind it - but I want it to be well used at that point.

Any ideas on what direction to look over the next few months?
Have you thought about a custom rifle you can pass down?

Custom…

Zermatt Arms Big Horn origin action $900
Woox custom stock (Furiosa foreend and Exactus buttstock) $900
Criterion .280 Remington 18” 1:8 heavy Sporter barrel $300
Triggertech Primary trigger $165

Got everything from northland shooters supply in Bismarck ND. They don’t stock the 280 Remington since the 280 AI came out which they do stock. Everything else is on the shelf.

The stock came from Woox themselves

I put the gun together in my basement myself. It is sub1/2” MOA so far and as the load develops, it’s getting better. Easily a 1000 yard target rifle and an easy 400 yard elk gun if you do your part.

IMG_7885.jpeg

Last edited:
I haven't used @p_ham's services (yet), but I think he'd be a good smith to talk to. If you're looking at factory rifles, consider Sako or a Browning White Gold Medallion, but I don't know if 280 AI will be an option with either of those. I got a White Gold Medallion for a friends retirement and had a hard time actually giving that one away.

Have you thought about what the word heirloom means?
yes. 1. : a piece of property (such as a deed or charter) that descends to the heir as an inseparable part of an inheritance of real property. 2. : something of special value handed down from one generation to another.

He could buy a high quality custom rifle, use it for decades, and pass it down to his daughter, making it an heirloom.

He could also buy an old rifle as well. There are a lot of different options for PawPaw to invest in a high quality rifle to pass down.

How about you pick what you like as far as fit and then have @p_ham finish it the rest of the way for you? That’s what I think of when I think “heirloom quality”

Thank you to everyone! I’ve got a couple directions to start looking now.

4,000ish including optic.
If you are budgeting that much then take your time and pick out exactly what you want and like. Little things can become big things, if you know what I mean. Some things to consider:

-safety- some on here prefer a 3 position safety, and/or one that locks the bolt. I HATE a Mauser style wing safety, but some prefer it

-bolt- do you want a large knob, short lift, etc?

-stock fitment and finish- high Monte Carlo, simple lines, euro lines, simple or deluxe checkering, high gloss or satin

-Scope and mounts/rings- classic lines, large tube and dial able knobs, or somewhere in between?

I’m seeing that name a lot…
My requirement was I wanted to put the gun together myself. I’ve been playing with stuff gunsmithing once the mid-90’s. Glass bedding, trigger polishing etc. stock refinish is

I don’t have the lathes and mills, but there’s plenty else you could do with your kids to create those heirloom pieces and pass them on.

I’m seeing that name a lot…
He is the resident HT Gunsmith guy but lives in NV. I have sent stuff to him, but there are a couple highly skilled gunsmiths local to us as well.

It will really depend on what feel you want. A quality rifle and memories make it a heritage item. You have to like the feel and fit to use it enough to make the memories.

A expensive gun you don’t like and use will never make the second check mark. That is why LRH forum and Gunbroker are full of ads for lightly used expensive guns.

4,000ish including optic.

Certainly a custom gun budget with alpha quality glass.

Great advice so far in terms of the kind of build, etc but if it's a true heirloom piece, then it needs all the scratches, bangs and bumps that tell the story of why the gun is a piece of family history.

Good luck and I'm jealous of the journey. Congrats on retiring debt too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back