Straight Talk: Time to Rethink the Drinking Age

Could die on the highway driving drunk too. Being in the military doesn't imply maturity, but I'd make an exception for them if I'm king of the world...
Do we raise the age for gun ownership as well?

The funny thing about alcohol, is that if it was invented today it would almost certainly be prohibited. I'm glad it's not, on the whole, but it does more damage to human life in this country in a day than weed will do in a decade.

I'm gonna be honest, I think the goal (and eventual outcome) for society should be total repeal of prohibition on ALL mind-altering substances. It sounds crazy now, but I bet in 25 years we'll be closer to that goal than not.

From weed?!?!
Yes siree, Bob!
LWW, LC, JMW and JEP.
Knowing their propensities, I steered clear of them except on the job. WAY clear off duty!!!!
Don't know WHAT they were smoking.
Don't CARE what they were smoking.
Others on the job were just about as bad, but these four, slowly, over time, began to develope symptoms.
Heck! Who knows! They may have all had the same supplier!
Within a couple of years, all four were deceased.
Was it the weed?
DAMIFINO!
I'm no doctor or ME.
But I knew all four of them well. I knew their habits. I knew all four were "pot heads". I also watched all four go down the tubes in the same manner.

Yes siree, Bob!
LWW, LC, JMW and JEP.
Knowing their propensities, I steered clear of them except on the job. WAY clear off duty!!!!
Don't know WHAT they were smoking.
Don't CARE what they were smoking.
Others on the job were just about as bad, but these four, slowly, over time, began to develope symptoms.
Heck! Who knows! They may have all had the same supplier!
Within a couple of years, all four were deceased.
Was it the weed?
DAMIFINO!
I'm no doctor or ME.
But I knew all four of them well. I knew their habits. I knew all four were "pot heads". I also watched all four go down the tubes in the same manner.
Ironically, it sounds like you need to chirp a b worse than anyone.
I haven’t put any piff up in the sky in decades.
But at the same time...

Respectfully,
-DouglasR

@Randi I’m a bad driving roll model, I deserved my age 18 premiums 🤦‍♂️ Kudos though on fighting the system, honestly if someone is willing to go in and discuss their rate with an agent I think that’s a pretty good indication of maturity.

My 2 cents; age should be 18 for consumption, bars, and for purchasing beer and wine. 21 to purchase hard alcohol at liquor stores. The idea being 18 year olds can drink PBR on their own or hard stuff at a bar where they can be cut off by an adult. They can’t go buy a handle by themselves.

The problematic part of us drinking culture is the fact that it’s underground for 15-20 year olds. Basically everyone drinks before they are 21 and they do it unsupervised and a lot of it is hard liquor, that’s not to say there aren’t issues with bars but acute alcohol poisoning is much less common.

Didn't we just change the smoking age to 21? And now we want to lower the drinking age? Old enough to fight old enough to smoke. Lol

Someone mentioned that it would take away hiding it if you were under 21. Well it would just continue to be hidden under 18. So by that reasoning let's get rid of it completely.

Imagine how f****d up you would get forever if you tried to drink your way through 1 isle at binnys beverage depot.
Then think about surrendering your ID, pulling down you mask and saluting before entering a dispensary. Lol

I grew up in Quebec where the drinking age is 18yo and far from being enforced outside of bars. Laws are pretty relaxed and cops don't care. I went to a college that had a lot of students from the States, they were the worst in terms of being bad drunks based on the "catching up" they needed to do to be on par with Canadians who most had openly been drinking for years. Just lower the drinking age and let kids be kids when they are still kids, not full blown adults.

Also, make weed legal, Canada is doing fine, our cities aren't burning and cops can concentrate on real policing.

Back