Stove: Pocket Rocket vs. Jetboil Flash

my freshman yr in college a guy on my floor built similar stoves.... I built three. No longer have them after buying the pocket rocket but those lil stove are amazingly impressive if built right!

I've got both and like and use both. For solo backpacking I almost always take the Pocket Rocket, due to weight. For back packing with multiple people or camping at the truck I use the Jetboil more, for speed and convenience. If I had to do it again, I'd get both again.

I have a jetboil and a snow peak giga. They both have there + and - Last year we took the jetboil on a ten day backpack caribou hunt for 3 of us with a adaptor so we can burn 1lb Colman propane, we used about half the can. We also packed the snow peak as a back up and to fry hart on. The jet boil is great for a group camp but if you are going solo use a rocket or similar.
Jay

Its kind of funny though, that stove has been out for nearly a year, and they still havent put in on there website.

I think there is a legal issue with Jetboil. The 2 are almost identical except the Eta Solo has a smaller pot and a different Koozie. The way I hear it is Jetboil had their stove and heat exchange system built by Primus originally. Jetboil decided they could get it built cheaper so Primus basically started manufacturing their own.

Anyway, I bought the Eta Solo and it works great. I wanted the smaller pot for a smaller footprint in my pack.

I have used my Jetboil for the last few years and I really like it. I usually hunt with a few other people so the size works out great. If I go by my self I will use a buddies snow peak giga because it is smaller and lighter. Can't go wrong with either one.

CABugle

http://www.minibulldesigns.com/ Just checked this site,its been awhile.I see the Bios#4 is going for $20.I don't remember paying this much.In any case, I think this guy is good at what he does,former engineer etc.Check the site but also google alcohol backpacking stoves.There are other options and how-to guides for making your own.The concept is all the same.Its worth having in your pack,I think.If you decide to try one pm me and I'll fill in some helpful hints.I have used mine exclusively for the past two years.(just don't use the HEAT in the red bottle,only the yellow bottle).

That is a cool site. I have been using esbit fuel with a canteen cup stove, but the alcohol stove sounds like it is a lot faster. Would be nice to have something I could actually cook on.:)

An Optimus 99 has been my pack stove for nearly 40 years. I must be old fashioned, because I still use liquid fuel. I like it because it sits close to the ground and is less likely to tip over.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back