Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Story behind the name......

back in the early 2000's we were deer hunting in Montana and back in town one night we saw 2 trucks (Washington & Wisconsin plates) at the gas station with a box full of fork horns-2pts-2x2's and one of my buddies in that back seat said "look at all them superduece's" we laughed and since then have called all 2pts - superduece's and for some reason that memory came to mind when I was creating this account.

I’m boring- just my initials. Was living in a big city in the Midwest, hating every second of it, dreaming of moving west- that’s when I found Randy’s show online and then this forum. Lurked a while, then signed up, then moved to Montana.

My other idea was to take a line from Jeremiah Johnson and call myself “Starvin’ Pilgrim"- a little tongue-in-cheek aimed at how cocky I was for being so green. It’s been a steep learning curve, for sure, but damn worth it.

First forums I joined required actual names so used Ben and my last initial P. So it's the same across all forums I join just some are not capitalized.

My first name is Noah and my middle name is Henry.
In middle school, my parents put my full name on my enrollment card, so for roll call I was called both names. Eventually people stopped using my first name and resorted to my middle name, including parents I didn't know and people in the stands for sports.
The middle name gets emphasized as a result.

When I joined 6 years ago, I’d been divorced almost 3 years , I choose OR Chris , so people would know what part of the US I lived and hunted and my real first name , thinking I would always live in the Coastal mountains of Oregon forever, well did I get that wrong. Now I’m married again and in MT , so I changed my name to reflect my new state MT Rookie aka OR Chris

I wanted to keep the old name because that what I was know as after 6 years , but also identify with my new land , I choose the name rookie after MT , because after growing up in Alaska, even though I’d never been to Montana I felt it was very close to Alaska in some ways with big open country that could kill you unlike Western Oregon where I lived. And starting over in MT , there’s gear and different things that you need for Montana that you don’t need where I lived in Oregon, so I choose the Rookie name to personally reflect how I felt about being the new guy in MT with a life time of learning this state ahead of me.

And in the last few months with the fact that I’ve walked into a grizzly bear and almost stepped on a rattlesnake . I’ll keep Rookie for the next few years ! Ha ha

fowladdict...because back in 2005 when I joined I was in my late 20's and didn't have kids. I hunted waterfowl almost every day during the season after work. Those were the good days. Now there are houses everywhere I used to hunt.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back