Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Storing camp food in AK? No trees. E fence?

mplane72

The interweb has not provided much help. Sounds like substantial trees for hanging a bag might not be an option. What do the experienced here do in that case?

I've been told by one old boy, a born and raised long time former AK resident that you need to keep your food in camp to "guard" it. Not sure how I feel about that since he "had" to kill a black bear in his tent last year. I'm sure people want to hear more about that. Long story short is he was in camp while my buddies were out hunting. 40 yards away cutting wood. Can't hear very well anyway. Turns around to see a bear in his tent. Bear wouldn't back off and woofed at him so he shot it. He had a tag so no big deal there.

Anyway what do you do? Most if not all food will be factory sealed freeze dried or bars. Maybe a some jerky vacuum packed in daily rations?

Electric fence? I'd be curious to hear thoughts on those anyway but i expect we'll have one considering one of my friends concerns. I'm not a fan of taking anything extra but if it helps one to sleep at night so be it. I would think that an electric fence is better used to secure attractants like food and toiletries away from camp and preferably down wind then to be sleeping inside it with my food.

Also, as far as the fences go how do batteries hold up in cold temps? Will be up last 2 weeks of September for Moose.

I used electric fences for work and play in AK in the highest bear density areas. They work well but they're not an excuse to ignore other recommendations when camping in bear country. When hunting I put the fence around the meat and my raft, just set the tent up a reasonable distance away. My fence unit ran on 4 D batteries for several weeks. Cold and rain were not an issue.

Last edited:
In areas that fish are running, bears are interested in fish. Not You. In the fall, late Aug, Sept, if berries are in abundance, bears are eating berries. Not you. Alaska is rich and in abundance with feed for bears. What you bring, likely interests them little. Unless your grossly sloppy. A number of times, I've seen camps with electric fence around camp, but none around hanging meat. Bears get hanging meat. I have never had an electric shield, about camp, over 40 years, but have had bears swipe hanging meat. Bears are not to be feared, but respected.
Keep the camp clean. If worried about bear, put the electric grid around your hanging meat. Your stink is not a bear pleasure. They want the easy meat!
In our camp, we pee all around the circle. On every game trail in and out. Any bear approaching will know a big dog is here.

I watched a podcast that addresses GoHunt's recent caribou hunt that I linked above. In it, they describe the details of logistics, access, packing, bears, regulations, etc. The video podcast is here:

In that podcast, they discussed camping out on the tundra where there are no trees around to hang meat and they did not use an electric fence. They had bear spray and handguns for protection. Saw several grizzlies during their hunt and summarized it as the bears simply act differently in AK than they do in the lower-48 because they are hunted in AK.

Bear fences work. We used them at Katmai and 80 griz (brown) bears were at camp that year. Even if the batteries are dead, the bears would NOT mess with anything behind that white wire. Leave a boat on the beach and they're all over it getting into stuff, drinking the oil and gas (no kidding) and anything else they can find. Tow the boat to maintenance yard behind the fence and they won't bother it even though battery was dead the whole season. The busy campground is behind a bear fence and the bears are strolling down the path next to all day and night. Never was a bear in campground even though scores of people were cooking meals (but NOT allowed to cook fish).

In that podcast, they discussed camping out on the tundra where there are no trees around to hang meat and they did not use an electric fence. They had bear spray and handguns for protection. Saw several grizzlies during their hunt and summarized it as the bears simply act differently in AK than they do in the lower-48 because they are hunted in AK.
I've used a bear fence zero times in 100s of days if hunting in bear infested woods. If I know there are bears close I don't leave my food in my tent otherwise it's under the vestibule packed up neatly for them to snag and hopefullynot destroymy tent. We saw 42 grizzlies one trip. The food was not in the tent on that one. Haha.

The bears in the arctic are similar to the ones in the Lessor 48. They have far less fear and are hungrier anf more curious.

There are vast areas here that see little to no bear hunting. How does a dead bear teach other bears that hunters are bad? How come we still have maulings?

One thing we can do is shoot them if they are being ornery, so tye number of bears who associate humans with food are taken out. The red tape is pretty short... and even shorter if in season.

Keep a clean camp and don't cook or eat in your tent if you're worried.

Bear fence is a good idea for meat and boats and they are cheap and light.

I've never used a fence. And just like your buddy I keep the meat near. If it was a hundred yards away it would be too tempting for bears.
As per camp or me. My sense is that they are busy being bears and trying to find food they know. Reducing risk, and trying to keep from getting beat. Doesn't matter who wins. They didn't get older taking risks.
Time money n weight are better spent on gear to keep you warm n dry.
And making sure that you can get out on walkabouts

There are vast areas here that see little to no bear hunting. How does a dead bear teach other bears that hunters are bad? How come we still have maulings?

Fear of man is innate.
Lots of animals have innate behavior.
I raised chicks born in an incubator and grew up inside a fence with a net ceiling, and yet whenever a hawk flew over they all squaked and knew what it was even though none of them had ever been attacked by one.

However, I wouldn't count on a bear being afraid of me.

Back