Stop grinding shanks

This was the first animal in a long time that I didn’t debone so it was my first chance to try it (on the bone). I made something similar a few years ago with them boneless but I think this was better.

Forgive my ignorance but Im assuming its the lower portion of the leg. If so, do you just separate the leg at the joint?

Forgive my ignorance but Im assuming its the lower portion of the leg. If so, do you just separate the leg at the joint?
yes, remove at the joint and then I go an extra step and cut the bone to reveal a little bit of the marrow inside on the opposite end of the large joint. they freeze well and I typically smoke them for an hour before braising and making tacos out of the meat.

This was the first animal in a long time that I didn’t debone so it was my first chance to try it (on the bone). I made something similar a few years ago with them boneless but I think this was better.
Do you have a favorite recipe or just any old osso bucco recipe w/ decent reviews?

Do you have a favorite recipe or just any old osso bucco recipe w/ decent reviews?
Osso Buco will work, or a good braised lamb shank recipe will get you there also. Just depends on what size of shank you’re doing.

When I’ve done beef Osso Buco the shanks were cut ~ 2”, so if you’re using an elk shank that may be better. My muley shanks are very similar in size to lamb, so cook time will be similar to a lamb recipe.

I used Danielle Prewett’s Meateater recipe using Garam Masala.

Last night was the first time in years I didn't prep the meat for braising. Only reason is we are low on burger and are butchering two antelope.

I've tried to like them, but just don't really care for them or any of the recipes. I'm good with grinding, plenty of other cuts to eat.

If I gather up enough of them I might try out a recipe I used for short ribs braised with onion , green bell pepper, celery and andouille sausage over rice or mashed potatoes. Probably be corn bread in the mix.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back