Stone sheep hunts

BradA

Does anyone have any recommendations for stone sheep hunts?

I think region seven generally has higher densities and better weather/less moisture than region six. There are some great outfitters from what I’ve heard in the classic stones country on the muskwa.
If you can afford it, you should do it because the prices are escalating rapidly.

I’d Look at Stone & Folding mountain outfitters. Blair Miller owns & runs both of these outfits. I’ve hunted at Stone Mountain before Blair bought it from Leif & Kellie Olsen. They probably have the most stone tags in BC with 25. I’ve been in camps when 3 sheep were taken. All dark chocolate rams. They are located in Toad River BC.

Is that all it costs? I’ll take two please…😄

Flight to the North - $1000
Designer camo that you will wear for one trip $3400
Swaro that you will resell on Rokslide $5000-6500 (so acutally +$1500 Utard math 🤷‍♂️)
PrOof ReSearCH Rifle - $8000
Guided Sheep hunt -$65000

Getting to suck face with a dead sheep - Priceless

There are somethings you can't pay to unsee... fore everything else there is unsecured credit card debt

1674150422165.png

Swaro that you will resell on Rokslide $5000-6500 (so acutally +$1500 Utard math 🤷‍♂️)

There are somethings you can't pay to unsee... fore everything else there is unsecured credit card debt

View attachment 261459

Big ram though.

I don't have any recommendations, but the one thing I have done is go through the success pages on a few outfitters to see how dark the coats were, IMO that's one of the coolest parts of stones. The closer to that blue/black cooler the better.

View attachment 261459
You could have at least closed your eyes....

Very pretty ram, though. That's the dream.

View attachment 261459
Unfortunately I can't argue with your $65K Stone sheep cost. At the ISE sport show in Denver last year a Stone sheep outfitter quoted me a horseback hunt for $55K, plus in his literature, he listed a 15% tip for his staff.

The other costs that you listed are way above my hunting circle.

When I did my Dall sheep hunt in '99, I was at the Montana State Skeet shoot in Great Falls the week before my hunt. I had driven my pickup with my slide-in camper to the shoot, and the last day of the shoot I arranged to get on an early squad for the 12 gauge event in the morning and took off to Canada as soon as I finished it and I skipped the .410 event that afternoon.

I drove straight through to Edmonton, slept in my camper just outside the airport, and made my 7 AM flight to Norman Wells the next morning. Air fares were less then, but I think that my commercial flight to Norman Wells, float plane to the base camp, and the Super Cub to my sheep hunting area were about $1,000.

My desiger camo for that hunt consisted in an inexpensive set of Cabela's rain gear, a Walmart closeout camo shirt that I had bought at the end of the hunting season the previous year and my everyday Levi jeans. Total cost of <$50.

Until recently I haven't hunted with a spotting scope, and even on my Montana Unlimited ram hunts and my Mountain goat hunts, I never took a spotting scope. I only used my $99 Nikon pocket binoculars. My Dall sheep guide also did not carry a spotting scope, and he also just used his binoculars. I don't remember which one of us spotted them first, but when we saw the band of rams that mine was in, I had picked out my ram before my guide said anything. Those Nikon binoculars were the same ones that I had used for years for all of my deer, antelope, and elk hunting. So total cost of optics for my Dall sheep hunt = $0.

The rifle that I used on my Dall ram hunt was the .257 Roberts Improved that I had built in 1977 and had used for 20 years on all of my deer, antelope, unlimited Montana bighorn ram hunts and one elk hunt. So total rifle cost for my Dall sheep hunt also = $0.

My 1999 Dall ram. The dot between his nose and left horn is the exit hole of the 206 yard shot with a 117 grain Sierra Gameking bullet.
6Wkui3Xl.jpg

Luck to have shot 2 as a resident of BC in the past 10 years. Amazing critters to hunt and easily some of the nicest country to hunt that I've ever spent any time in.

I shot one ram in Reg 6 (west cassiar hwy) and one in Reg 7 (Rockies/Muskwa). Both are really nice dark rams. The Muskwa ram is one year younger but scores a lot better. Heavy deeper curls. I think generally Reg 7 will produce bigger rams, but Reg 6 does seem to produce some older age class rams (likely due to being slower growing rams maybe). Usually better weather in Reg 7 from what I've seen.

There are some great outfitters in BC that offer a variety of different types of hunts (horseback vs backpack, fly in, etc)

Glad to share some specific info if you like. Without listing out a ton of great outfits, I'd consider Stone Mtn, Gundahoo, Big 9, Tuchodi River, and a handful of others depending on your exact needs.

Back