Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Stinkin' Deer Heart

Before prepping the heart I put a cast iron pan in the oven @ 400°. After the oven is preheated leave it in for 20 minutes.

I core the heart out and slice it in to 1/2-3/4" rings. Rub with extra virgin olive oil and salt and black pepper.

Pull out the cast iron and put it on the stove on mediumish heat. Add the heart and sear 1.5 - 2 minutes per side (I like mine medium rare). Pull it off and let it rest for 8 minutes and consume.

Simple and delicious.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

I ended up doing half of it salt and pepper-floured and fried and the other half pounded(with a maul), steak-seasoned and grilled to rare. Both were pretty good. The taste is great, it's the texture that takes a little getting used to, though pounding the meat with the maul really tenderized it.

I will definitely be keeping the hearts from now on. I fed some of the left over grilled heart to my son on Thanksgiving, and he approved.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 252
I have few ways to cook heart the first is breaded with flour and fried the next is to cut all the chambers out and stuff it with what ever you like for stuffing, rice stuffing mix etc. We usually boil the heart until it's medium well done and the trim it and cut into thin slices about 1/4 inch thick. Then in a large container or gallon jar add pickling spice,hot peppers, sliced onion and cover to taste with vinegar and then as it gets eaten add a few boiled eggs to be pickled with the heart. It don't last long in this house. We have already had two elk hearts.

Not sure what I did wrong, but I now have a jar of the rankest grossest thing my kitchen has ever produced sitting in my fridge. What kind of vinegar and how much do you use?

I piled the meat into a mason jar with a bunch of onions and filled it about 2/3 of the way with apple cider vinegar, and the rest water. Not sure if the apple cider vinegar was the wrong choice or not.

I LOVE pickled things, and I can't even stomach this abomination.

I also tried frying the liver off the same deer and was pretty disappointed.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back