Caribou Gear

Stealhead are Salmon

In print, the SuperKingdom through Genus will appear Capitalized and Italicized while the species (sp. or spp.) will appear lower case and italicized. This is done in order to create a universal "name" for each species of animal, plant, bug, etc...
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...com/skamie.html+genus+species+steelhead&hl=en

This list is given in the form "common name" and "Genus species". For more information on each fish species, click on the species name.

Rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss
Steelhead Oncorhynchus mykiss
Dolly Varden char Salvelinus malma
Cutthroat trout Salmo clarki
Chum Salmon Oncorhynchus keta
Pink Salmon Oncorhynchus gorbuscha
Coho Salmon Oncorhynchus kisutch
Chinook Salmon Oncorhynchus tshawytscha
Sockeye Salmon or Kokanee Oncorhynchus nerka
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...m/education.htm+genus+species+steelhead&hl=en

I don't think MATTy knows what he's talking about again. Where are your confusing sources (BUZZ?)?

IT, i think I'll leave feeding reader crap up to you. If you want to make that argument, you go ahead.

Hey i caught a big ass Dolly Varden[20lbs] out of the Flathead river [middle fork] about 25yrs. ago so is it a trout?????

sucks.gif

whocares.jpg

Having personally caught/released/killed/grilled/smoked and eaten several members of all 5 species of Pacific Salmon and Rainbow Trout and their sea-run bretheren, the much ballyhoo'd Steelhead has afforded me the opportunity to examine all of these fish up close.....I can say, in the face of Ten's now infamous obstinance, that despite their taxonomic classification in the family Salmonindae, Steelhead are true trout and not true Salmon. Kissin' cousins maybe but no matter a trout is a trout and a salmon is a salmon.

There are several key differences between the two that immediately come to mind:
1. True Pacific salmon die after spawing, steelhead do not
2. True Pacific salmon stop eating once they enter fresh water; steelhead do not
3. True Pacific salmon eggs are a minimum of 4mm in diameter where as trout eggs rarely exceed 3mm in diameter
4. Salmon have heavier skeletons
5. Steelhead have finer scales

Steelhead are trout which would explain why they've been referred to as sea-run rainbows for about 150 years.

Cutthroat Trout, Arctic Char, Dolly Varden(Bull Trout to you western guys) and Brookies all have sea-run strains (Dollys and Brookies are Char not true trout) and yet they are not salmon.

I guess the world was flat because the maps said so...............

Erik, thanks for the info, but you're wasting your time with ten beers. Hes hell-bent on making steelhead into salmon, which they are not.

Theres plenty of proof to the contrary, but you'll never convince an idiot like that.

When they are recognized as taxonomically different, then I wil recognize them as different, but until then, steelhead are salmon. What's a matter boys, the science you so often attempt to flaunt not good enough for you now?

They are taxonomically different, did you forget to read Nemonts post?

You dont think that two different and distinct species are not taxonomically different?

Ten beers, pay close attention next year when you're busy repeating 3rd grade biology.

That makes them taxonomically distinct from one another...two different species. Most third graders know things like that.

LMAO Ten....
The ones that tout they want to see proof in writing from other sources the most, show the least here. Reputable sources, not some news article, from actual papers written by those in the field that are the only ones that know the real and living truth.
I wouldn't suppose they will, when the can find nothing they can use to dispute some one, it comes down to the playground bully antics....
To bad those tactics (Tack Ticks for Buzz) just don't or won't work. Such nonsense even detracts from any further arguments they may produce later on by lowering their status in the eyes of others. All of that collage going to waste by reverting to their childhood ways...

Elkcheese,

You should maybe sit in on ten beers third grade biology course next year too. That way you could learn the reason for classifying species that has been accepted by the scientific communities world wide.

I know you and ten beers struggle with anything to do with science, but if you try real hard and you two study enough, maybe, just maybe you'll pass the third grade course.

BUZZ/MATTy, what is the very definition of salmon? Never mind, here is my supporting material. Please refute it with other supported material, not your opinion.
salm·on (săm'ən)
n., pl. salmon or -ons.
Any of various large food and game fishes of the genera Salmo and Oncorhynchus, of northern waters, having delicate pinkish flesh and characteristically swimming from salt to fresh water to spawn.
A moderate, light, or strong yellowish pink to a moderate reddish orange or light orange.
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery...8&curtab=1555_1

steel·head (stēl'hĕd')
n.
The anadromous variety of the rainbow trout , having silvery, unstriped sides.
http://www.answers.com/topic/steelhead

Oncorhynchus mykiss
(Walbaum, 1792)
Family: Salmonidae (Salmonids) , subfamily: Salmoninae picture (Onmyk_u1.jpg) by Keeley, E.R.

In print, the SuperKingdom through Genus will appear Capitalized and Italicized while the species (sp. or spp.) will appear lower case and italicized. This is done in order to create a universal "name" for each species of animal, plant, bug, etc...
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...steelhead&hl=en

This list is given in the form "common name" and "Genus species". For more information on each fish species, click on the species name.

Rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss
Steelhead Oncorhynchus mykiss

Dolly Varden char Salvelinus malma
Cutthroat trout Salmo clarki
Chum Salmon Oncorhynchus keta
Pink Salmon Oncorhynchus gorbuscha
Coho Salmon Oncorhynchus kisutch
Chinook Salmon Oncorhynchus tshawytscha
Sockeye Salmon or Kokanee Oncorhynchus nerka
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...steelhead&hl=en
By the very definition Steelhead are salmon. You can argue you OPINION all day, but you need to have supported material to refute the topic.

BUZZ, steelhead are no more (specially) different then chinook are from coho, but they are still salmon. Please have a talk with MATTy, I think you 2 spent way to much money, for the learning you guys received there in montana. Maybe if you sit down with old grampa IT, he'll make you guys feel better.

Lets delve a bit into the terminology used to identify groups and species of wildlife. Scientists employ what are called "taxonomic categories" when they discuss wildlife amongst themselves. Using taxonomy, animals (and plants and bugs and germs...) are divided into several types of groups representing their evolution. These groups are indicated by latin terminology. In print, the SuperKingdom through Genus will appear Capitalized and Italicized while the species (sp. or spp.) will appear lower case and italicized. This is done in order to create a universal "name" for each species of animal, plant, bug, etc...It eliminates the confusion created by locally used common names (for example: ling/bowfin, or Chinook/King Salmon). Any genetic difference between species will be reflected in the taxonomic classification.

For this discussion, I will limit the taxonomic heirarchy to Genus, where we are dealing with Oncorhynchus mykiss , formerly Salmo gairdneri, or the rainbow trout. This scientific names applies to the rainbow trout and all strains of steelhead. Thus, from the taxonomic classification alone we can see that there are no physiological differences between rainbow trout and any strain of steelhead. In addition, the new taxonomy associated with the rainbow trout is due to that fact that fossil evidence shows that the rainbow trout is more closely related to Pacific Salmon (Genus Oncorhynchus) than Atlantic Salmon (Genus Salmo). The change in the species name is relative to evidence that shows that the former S. gairdneri is the same as the former S. mykiss from Russia. Since mykiss was described first in scientific literature, it's name gets hierarchy in all this confusion. To simplify: Scientists originally thought that "our" rainbow trout were related to Atlantic salmon and different from a similar species found in Russia. However, the newest fossil evidence shows more clearly that our fish and the fish in Russia are the same AND that they are more closely related to Pacific Salmon. Phew!
Doesn't ever say they are salmon just related to salmon. Always says Steelhead are trout.

Nemont

WH, because scientifically rainbow trout are still named as salmon also (by genus). Evidently being of the rainbow trout variety doesn't exclude the fish from also being of the salmon genus. I have found nothing that says trout aren't salmon, but by definition they must be anadromous ("characteristically swimming from salt to fresh water to spawn") to be of the salmon variety.

MATTy, all that NEMONT has posted is evidence why they should be named as a seperate genus, however, as long as they are in the same GENUS as the other salmons, steelhead are salmon.

As defined by Idaho fishing regulations steelhead are ranbow trout exceeding 20" in length. Does that mean that all rainbow trout over 20" have gone to the ocean and returned NO, nor does it mean that all "steelhead" returning from the ocean exceed 20". http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/fish/rules/steel.pdf

By definition, trout are not excluded from being salmon.
trout (trout)
n., pl. trout or trouts.

Any of various freshwater or anadromous food and game fishes of the family Salmonidae, especially of the genera Salmo and Salvelinus , usually having a streamlined, speckled body with small scales.
Any of various similar but unrelated fishes, such as the troutperch.
http://www.answers.com/topic/trout
Why should being a trout make it not a salmon? Are the landlocked chinook and kokanee (sockeye) trout or salmon, or does it really matter?

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back