Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Stealhead are Salmon

Ten Bears

salm·on (săm'ən)
n., pl. salmon or -ons.
Any of various large food and game fishes of the genera Salmo and Oncorhynchus, of northern waters, having delicate pinkish flesh and characteristically swimming from salt to fresh water to spawn.
A moderate, light, or strong yellowish pink to a moderate reddish orange or light orange.
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery...8&curtab=1555_1

steel·head (stēl'hĕd')
n.
The anadromous variety of the rainbow trout , having silvery, unstriped sides.
http://www.answers.com/topic/steelhead

Oncorhynchus mykiss (Walbaum, 1792)
Family: Salmonidae (Salmonids) , subfamily: Salmoninae picture (Onmyk_u1.jpg) by Keeley, E.R.

Map
Order: Salmoniformes (salmons)
Class: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes)
FishBase name: Rainbow trout

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...hynchus&speciesname=mykiss+Oncorhynchus&hl=en

Good find, reminds me of those that will argue nuances about the same topic, and say that either side has nothing to do with the other when it is really only semantics and is the same topic.... :)

YRH, other then they have seperate tag cards in Idaho (not related to the fact that steelhead are in truth salmon, more of a management issue I'd think). Please bring your supporting evidense for you argument.

BTW, the arguement/topic here isn't that salmon are steelhead, but rather "Steelhead are Salmon." I'd think even you would know the difference in those debates.

I would add, Deer, Elk, Moose are all in the same family, but they all have different tags...
Even on a closer to species note...
There are even different tags for White Tails, and Mule deer in some areas.
gunner likes lots of examples, so here are some more...
You only need a hunting license in most locals to shoot coyotes, but shoot a wolf and you go to jail.
They are both in the dog family....
Cougars have their own specific tags, so do bobcats, but you are supposed to leave the lynx alone...
Now back to the whole point here, you can argue nuances all day long, but it still doesn't make you right...

Ten- Basically you are saying you are a chimpanzee...monkey...gorilla...ape...red ass baboon... Now that clears a lot of things up...

What I want to see is ten beers arguing with a warden that the steelhead he just bonked on the head with a rock and tagged on a SALMON card is legal?

Tell them that steelhead are salmon and see how far your arguement goes that you think you "won".

Steelhead are in the same genus but they sure as hell are not even close to the same fish. One dies after spawning, one doesnt. They dont have the same life cylces, they dont have the same coloration, they cant hybridize, one swim further inland, run timings arent the same, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Yep, they're both fish, but thats about where the similarity ends.

If you dont know the difference or how to spell the name correctly, its not suprising you'd argue they're the same fish, they arent.

Thats why you have a SALMON card and STEELHEAD card, thats why they're managed differently, thats why we classify them differently with species name, Christ, its not rocket science. Take a basic course in biology for god sake.

Why did I know some dolt would come up with that reply...

Test your semantics smart ass, and go tag a steelhead on your salmon card in the presence of a warden...report back on the semantics lesson you learn as you're pressing hard to get your signature on all five copies...

well duh,
Don't be so thick headed.
I never said they were the same exact fish,

Jeezusjumpinjehozifat.
all that I said is that steelhead are in the salmon family

Family: Salmonidae (Salmonids) , subfamily: Salmoninae picture (Onmyk_u1.jpg) by Keeley, E.R.

Map
Order: Salmoniformes (salmons)
Class: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes)
FishBase name: Rainbow trout

Buzz has got this one right, and who the hell is YHR? There are 5 salmons on the western US coast. Steelhead is not one of them. Steelhead is considered a trout, not a salmon. Same exact species as rainbow trout. Steelhead can make mulitiple spawning runs, Salmon Can't! (in most cases)

The name for this thread should be "steelhead are in same family as salmon."

Rainbows are in the salmonid family as well

The steelhead is a sea-going or anadromous species of rainbow (Kamloops) trout. Until the late 1980's it had the scientific name, Salmo gairdneri Richardson. However, the American Fisheries Society (AFS) recognized that the Kamchatka or Asian steelhead race had an historic previous label, mykiss, hence all steelhead and rainbow trout now have the name mykiss. At about that same time, the AFS determined that there was no biological reason for separating rainbow trout from Pacific salmon at the generic level. Therefore they labeled all trout and salmon of Pacific lineage in the same genus, Oncorhynchus. Today, steelhead throughout the world are known as Oncorhynchus mykiss.
http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/angling/protalk/thornton/steel/steel9.phtml

Michael, the point of all this business has nothing to do with family, genus or species.

It has to do with elkcheese not knowing WTF he's talking about in regard to anadromous fish. He claimed his neighbor caught SALMON in the Salmon River near Challis Idaho and killed them and brought them home. The cheese was not talking about steelhead, we were discussing Salmon, everyone knew that salmon meant KING SALMON in particular in the reference the cheese made. In all my travels across 5 states and one canadian province fishing steelhead and salmon, I've never heard anyone refer to steelhead as salmon. I've heard king, sockeye, pink, chum, and silver salmon called "salmon" but there is no common name that describes steelhead as "salmon" anywhere I've ever been. Of course, I doubt I have the fishing experience that the cheese and ten beers do, I havent fished but 25-30 rivers for anadromous fish since 1978...so they may know more than me, its possible.

Anyway, then elkgunner called the cheese on his claim that his neighbor caught and killed salmon there, which if he did, is illegal and would fall under a violation of the ESA.

Then, you have ten beers who throws in the bogus claim that steelhead are salmon so the cheese doesnt look like the idiot he is. Its kind of cute to see ten beers defending the cheese though, by trying to make the cheese look like he knew what he was talking about...I bet they'd make a great couple.

But, there is no arguing that steelhead and salmon are totally distinct species from one another. They are as similar to each other as moose and coues deer...

Yes Buzz,

While that is true, at the time, I really didn't know the difference; I never had fished for any of the Steelhead/Salmon species in the past.
I also conceded and changed my response later, but.... that silly word always seems to come up...

You and gunner only read what you want, see what you want and can't seem to get off your high horse long enough to see changes in others or try to actually teach them a better way. You are so hell bent on finding any thing wrong with others, that you will go to any means, shy of actually proving your own lying eyes wrong (which means lip service is so much easier than finding the real truth).

That I suppose is your failings...

Unlike the both of you!!!

I will admit when I am wrong, I have done it on a regular basis on this forum, but the two of you are so hardened with hate and disgust for any one that won't fit inside of your little box that no matte how wrong you are, you will deny it until you are dead.

No matter what your IQ happens to be, or learned you are on a subject, it still shows character flaws when you can only vent by dropping your discussions into the most basic of arguments, hence the grade school mentality and antics when it comes to attacks on others to cover your own failings.

With this understanding of you guys, this makes it possible for me to have pity for the both of you as I would some one with any number of disabilities.

I have offered for gunner a tissue sample of the offending Salmon/Steelhead so as to have the truth so as to appease his troubled mind, but then again it comes to committing to something that would prove his allegations completely wrong and not conform to his own self centered small interests and I personally don’t think he is capable…

Hey Cheese,

Heres a good idea...how about you try understanding the issues before you make a fool of yourself?

If you're going to rip on Gunner about how "salmon" arent in trouble by saying "my neighbor killed an endangered species near Challis"...you cant expect to NOT be called on your lack of knowledge of the subject at hand.

I believe you that you didnt know your ass from hot rocks on the "salmon" your neighbor caught. I also knew that it was most likely a steelhead and not a salmon. The trouble is, you're trying to argue with people that know a boat-load more about anadromous fish than you do. You arent going to prove your point when you havent a clue about the subject. When you post crap like that, your credibility is headed down the crapper.

When I dont know about a subject, I do a couple things:

1. I dont post
2. I post asking questions
3. I do some research, then post questions or an opinion.

You dont do that, you just strap on the velcro pants and show the whole world your ass.

It seems to me you just type SOMETHING when you're in doubt and 95% of the time you dont have a clue.

Buzz....
They crucified the last guy that could walk on water.... :eek:
I would be careful... :)
You should run for President, the Dems are looking for some one with your background and understanding of every single little thing that makes this world run… :)
I am not going to go back and look thru all of your posts to show you that this one is wrong, but will wait until the next time you don't stick to it and give you a gentle reminder... ;)
3. I do some research, then post questions or an opinion.
I have seen opinions come out that have had no research on your end, but you sure make it sound good... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnbighunter
Back