Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Starting out 2006 with some birds

mtmiller

Got out for a first day of 2006 duck hunt. I did see one teal, but he was too fast for me. Ended up with my 5 mallards, but no 6th duck. Axl has been on break for a couple weeks, so he enjoyed the outing.
P1160636.JPG

Had some time to kill, so I put out some tip-ups. Next mornig a killed three ducks, but they are getting wary. I could have hunted a little longer and probably gotten a limit, but figured maybe this was enough for today. The tip-ups worked out and I enjoyed a fish dinner last night. :D (get your mind out of the gutter schmalt's) :rolleyes:
P1160677.JPG

New Year's resolution....spend more days in the field hunting than 2006. Might be tough to do, but gotta shoot for something. :D

Well... you're 8 birds ahead of me this year ... :)

Kudos on getting Axl out, Dare I say Awesome pictures again !!!!

New Year's resolution....spend more days in the field hunting than 2006. Might be tough to do, but gotta shoot for something.

Great Pics, maybe I should steal those also ;), anyway I am wondering why you are planning to spend more days in the field then in 2006?

Nemont

Nemont said:
I am wondering why you are planning to spend more days in the field then in 2006?

Nemont

Probably because he only spent 2 days in the field in '06 ..... Jan 1st and Jan 2nd.......

Yes indeed, you are on top of things this year.. but who was talking about this fall.... or falling ? He wanted to spend more time then he did in '06, which has only been or was only 2 days. this fall is still 2006 but if he hunts it it will be more then he's hunted already in '06 if he spends at least 3 days hunting........

WOW, that post sounded like I was Tom .. ;)

Sorry Jeff, you got me on my first mistake of 2007 or '06, or whatever. ;) I am so easily comfused.

Looks like you got some recent flying liver as well. Good work.

Oscar and Jeff, thanks for the entertainment. :D

Craig,

You going out again? I am done for the most part unless I just can't stand it and head out one more time. I ended up with a bird count of 72 ducks, total of 7 hens :( and 19 geese. I spent alot less time duck hunting then in the past because of work commitments. I hope to spend more time next season. Hopefully the potholes will fill up and the Canadian PPR will produce big numbers of ducks.

Fort Peck is still wide open and is holding thousands of birds still. Hmmm....maybe Thurs. I will have take one more stab at it.

Nemont

I might get out this weekend in the Central Flyway, but not sure when it closes, I had better check before I throw in the shotgun. :D

Was planning on a close hunt tomorrow, but apparently I need to attend a meeting for a prescribed burn instead (hate when work gets in the way of my hunting). ;)

Ended up with 78 ducks this calendar year with mostly mallards (61 drakes and 2 hens). Only 8 honkers, but the most I have ever killed.

take care and good hunting in '06

Miller,
Are you sure you didn't whack 4 mallards only to use one for cut-bait for the slough shark and perch?
WD

Wow, I thought there must be some pretty good birds here with 10 posts already. ;)

Congrats on the ducks, and that top picture is first class.

Oak

Wow! That's awesome. Having a great hunting dog would make it tough to hunt anything else. Those are some great photos, Miller, as usual.

I shot some pheasants on the last day, no dog. Not much fun and my shooting is damn rusty. I remember when I had a dog, that was about the best time that could be had. It was also a Yellow Lab, a damn good one. She was stolen in 1986 and I really haven't done much bird hunting since then.

Hey Greenhorn,

If you make the payments, your stuff doesn't get "stolen".....

MT,
Nice pics and congrats on another year with Axl and some awesome photographs. You ought to do a calendar or some prints and donate them to DU Auctions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ca_centralcoast_hunter
Back