Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Standing Rock Reservation

Ultrahunter

So a buddy of mine invited me on a deer hunt on the Standing Rock Reservation in North/South Dakota. As luck would have it i drew a tag! This will be my first whitetail hunt and i'm pretty excited. Any one ever hunted it? It looks pretty open! Just thought i would see if any of you traveling hunters had been there? Had any luck?

it has pretty much everything SD/ND can give you as far as terrain. there are some good deer to be had, but low deer #s make it hard. try and get as good of a map as you can, KNOW where you are, no wiggle room for trespassing. just because it is reservation they can post you out. depending on where and when you hunt it can get crowded. when I can fit it in my schedule I will be back because I was able to access some of the posted ground and it made a big difference.
I was a little hesitant with the pipeline deal this year, my luck they would be still pissed off and take it out on me...lol

I prairie dog hunted there a few years back. The terrain is as mentioned. I was very surprised at how little land I was actually able to hunt on considering how big the reservation is. Definitely get a map and may even be worth having a little guidance from someone there. Possibly a couple hundred bucks to one of the area hunters or guides could save you a lot of frustration. I'll take a look in the next couple of days and see if I still have a map.

Bowhunted there back in 2000,01 near Selfridge north dakota on some private land. There was lots of nice whitetail bucks around there and a few good mule deer bucks too. Also a small herd of elk.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back