MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Standard Cow Tag vs. Reduced (WY)

Flatlander3

Is there any benefit to applying for a standard cow tag vs a reduced if the seasons are the same? You would loose points if drawn 1st choice and it would be more expensive. While the reduced is just random, but same dates. I know not all are at the same time periods but I have noticed some are.

Reduced price is cheaper. And its a different application than the full price cow tag. So you can put in for both a full price license and a reduced cow license. Sometimes they are easier to draw than the full price, sometimes not. The nice part about the full price cow tags (type 4), as a resident anyway, is that if you draw it on your second choice you can still buy a general tag.

Let’s say unit X as a NR is where you want to hunt, but it takes 8 PP for a type 1 elk tag. Put your 2nd choice as the type 4 for that same unit, and if you don’t draw the type 1 on the random pool, you could still draw the type 4 and buy a PP. Also putting in for the type 6 gives you yet another way to learn the unit in preparation for eventually drawing the type 1 license.

Personally, $700 is a bit steep for me for the exact tag (in some units) that can be had for $300, so I just put in for the Type 6

I could go on for several paragraphs about all the things I like about Wyoming's system; their game management, their website, data, the quality of the hunts, my experience with game and fish employees, etc. But man, that type 4 tag is really expensive now.... My one complaint.

One benefit for me, is I can put in for a type 4 and a type 6 in the initial draw, then buy a general tag. In my area there are getting to be pretty few leftover type 6 tags for the second draw and pretty low odds of drawing. So with a little more money it's a better bet for me in my area, in most situations. Drawing a type 4 tag on your first choice does not prevent you from purchasing a general license, it would take NR points if you draw it as first choice though.

I've always wondered the same thing, and now looking at the resident prices it looks like a cow/calf tag is $43. Am I understanding it right that for residents Type 4 and Type 6 are same cost?

I've always wondered the same thing, and now looking at the resident prices it looks like a cow/calf tag is $43. Am I understanding it right that for residents Type 4 and Type 6 are same cost?
No you are not. Type 4 is a full price antlerless license and costs $57. Type 6 is a reduced priced cow/calf license and costs $43. Type 4 are basically a cow/calf license. I am not entirely sure why the G&F has it set up this way. Kind of confusing.

No you are not. Type 4 is a full price antlerless license and costs $57. Type 6 is a reduced priced cow/calf license and costs $43. Type 4 are basically a cow/calf license. I am not entirely sure why the G&F has it set up this way. Kind of confusing.

It has a lot to do with what/where you want to draw. Let's say you're a non-res and really want to make sure you hunt Area 7 this year. You don't have enough preference points to draw a type 1 and the random draw for a type 6 cow tag is about 60%, but you don't want to take that chance. Put in for a type 4 - you would have drawn a tag last year with zero preference points, probably will do the same this year. Expensive for a cow tag, but you get to hunt the area (ie. scout it for your type 1 in the future).

The same can apply for a resident. Look at the Area 2 resident odds. According to the hunt planner, last year type 6 draw odds for a resident was 10% and the type 4 was 23%. For an extra $14 you more than double your odds of drawing a cow tag.

Yep some folks just like to hunt cows and the type 4 tag in a LQ area gives better odds to draw and hunt and great area.

Yes I agree, and I use that strategy as a resident. But is that a bi-product of the system, or an actual objective of the manangement plan? Maybe just to increase opportunity I suppose?

There is often different dates and/or restrictions on type 6 that are not on type 4. 4 may have longer season, or less private/public or other land restrictions

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back